Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 best way to deal with users wanting to change calendars

Hello,

I work for a law firm and we are preparing to start using Exchange for the first time. Up until this point, we've used a POP server for email and a separate calendaring program for our calendaring needs.

Our secretaries schedule the attorney court dates and client meetings for the attorneys in this calendar program. About every 6 months or so our attorneys will switch to a different judge, meaning all the appointments in the future will now belong to a different attorney. Right now when this happens, we just go into the calendaring program and change the username of the attorney to the attorney that is replacing him and vice versa. This quickly swaps the calendars and we go on working.

In Exchange, email is tied to the calendar so this won't be a good option. What is the best way for me to handle this with Exchange? So far I've thought of setting up a room account for each courtroom and have the secretaries book the court dates in there, then invite the attorneys to each meeting. When the attorneys switch, all the dates will still be in the courtroom calendar. We just need to have them go through and invite the new replacing attorney, and deinvite the old, and the attorneys will need to delete all the old meetings they were invited to. As you can imagine, this would be a pain.

Is there a better way to do this?

Exchange 2010 SP1
    Server 2008 Standard
    Outlook 2003
    Mix of Windows 7 and Windows XP clients
    Last edited by edwimb; 30th September 2010, 20:38.

Re: Exchange 2010 best way to deal with users wanting to change calendars

sound challenging, but I'm sure it's something other law firms have to deal with.

I'd recommend talking to some of your peers at other law firms about how they achieve this. I can't really offer you any other suggestions sorry
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes I've done that but no one has emailed me back.

I hate to set it up like this but I don't see any other way. I don't know enough about Exchange to know if there is a better way to do this.

Comment

To put it another way, suppose you had a conference room that would randomly switch locations with another conference room every 6 months. How would you go about changing all of your users calendar appointments to the correct conference room?

Comment

Consider a custom piece of code that can be run against that mailbox (i.e. log on as the resource account and run it) to iterate through the calendar and move things. Check on outlook programming

btw, I like the idea of judges as conference rooms!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X