• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-mail for students...

Hi all,
    1. Server 2008R2 running Active Directory
    2. Exchange 2010 w/ OWA published through ForeFront TMG
    3. K-8 charter school

Ok, on my domain is roughly 110 users (teachers, admins, other staff). Our school has 600 kids overall, with approximately 60 in the 7th grade.

One idea the Superintendent had was to give our 7th grade class e-mail addresses. I scoffed at the idea, because honestly, as a department of one handling everything with copper in it, I really don't need this aggravation...

Mainly, I don't want to allow them any access to the domain itself (ie, being able to login to the domain from a PC).

But it dawns on me that IF this would be easy to do, why not do it... Is there a way to give them e-mail access without making them actual domain users? Or, more simply, is there a way to allow them to use e-mail (preferably OWA) and deny access to login to the domain?

What are your thoughts on this overall?

Thanks!

Chris

Re: E-mail for students...

IMO there is nothing wrong with treating students as any other user, obviously subject to more restrictive policies. This is however a political decision.
    In terms of the technical problem in question, you could create mailboxes and purchase external connector CALs, which may work out cheaper and get them to access the mailbox in one of the mentioned ways.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

So it IS possible to create mailboxes for them, but not allow them to login to the domain when at the school?

Then, it IS possible to set them up in such a way that the only way they could access their e-mail would be from our OWA site when outside the LAN (at home, for example)?

Chris

Comment

OR...

What about "logon hours" in AD? Perhaps I could set them up as regular users, but restrict their logon hour availability to only be, say, from 4pm - 7pm daily and at specific times on weekends...

Do logon hours in AD apply to logging into mail? What I mean is, if I say that Billy Smith can only logon from 4-7, and he tries OWA at 3, would it let him on or not?

Chris

Comment

Look into user rights e.g. deny logon locally
          Should not affect OWA

But also think about licensing costs before you add 60+ new users
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Deny logon locally...

I forgot all about that. Could very well be my answer! And licensing cost shouldn't be a problem...

Thanks, fellas.

Chris

Comment

Working...
            X