No announcement yet.

Exchange Server 2007 SP1 mailbox migration into 2010

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2007 SP1 mailbox migration into 2010

Hi Everyone,

I’ve got all in one Exchange Server 2007 SP1 RU3 that got all in one role installed (HT-CAS-MBx) in Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 SP which is also running as domain controller with all FSMO role.

I’m planning to migrate the Exchange Server 2007 server role into the Exchange Server 2010 Standard that I have prepared in my Virtual Machine of Windows Server 2008 R2, what is the safest migration path to make the email flow working end to end parallel (staging migration process).

(please also not that this Exchange Server 2007 SP1 got so many problem like – OOF email error in Outlook 2007, meeting scheduler stopped working, etc… therefore updating it into SP3 is not the way here and I've backed up the mailbox using Backup Exec 2010 in case i can just restore the backed up mailbox into the new server 2010 if possible)

My this is what I’m about to do:
    1. Transfer all FSMO role into another domain controllers
    2. Install and configure similar role in the new VM (Exchange Server 2010 Std.)
    3. Confused…

Things to do after all mailbox migration:
    1. Cutover the MX record into the new server name
    2. Install updated UCC- SSL certificate into the exchange server 2007

Any kind of help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Exchange Server 2007 SP1 mailbox migration into 2010

The first thing you have got to do is upgrade from Exchange 2007 SP1. You will be unable to install Exchange 2010 while that version is installed. You will have to move to at least SP2, preferably SP3 for co-existence.

If you can't update the machine (and it isn't clear why not as the issues you have identified seem to be simply related to the autodiscover and availability service) you would have to remove Exchange completely. That would destroy everything inside Exchange - all permissions, mailboxes, groups, addresses etc.
    Another option would be to install a second Exchange 2007 SP3 installation, move everything to that, then remove the original Exchange 2007 installation.
    Only then could Exchange 2010 be installed. If you have VM technology then that may well be the best option.
    Bottom line is that Exchange 2010 will not install with the current machine at SP1.

Cannot comment on Backup Exec as I have stopped using it on Exchange 2007. Do note that mailbox level backups are not supported by Microsoft, so issues have to be managed by Symantec.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.