No announcement yet.

Creating the Recovery RDB in Exchange 2010

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating the Recovery RDB in Exchange 2010

Hi all,

First let me thank to all those who decide to help really appreciated.

Ok I am running Exchange 2010 on server 2008R2.
    We moved from Domino to Exchange 2010 about 3 weeks ago and I am totally new to Exchange.

I need to restore a user’s mail box. Of course in domino I will be restoring the file from the backup and that is all a 1 min job. Exchange works in a different way, anyway when I started the process of restoring the user mail box I realised how different it is to Domino and realised that the consultant (more likely swear swear) that installed Exchange 2010 didn't create the Recovery DB – RDB or any other scheduling for backup. I did a search and according to Microsoft "" I have used the New-Mailboxdatabase -Name RDB2 -Server servername -EdbfilePath "path" to create a RDB2 so going forward I will be able to restore a mailbox.
    Like any good boy i decided to test and see if I can the problem is that there is no RDB2 I can see the folder structure but there is no DB.

Am I doing something wrong?
    Can anyone help?

Again thank you for your help.

Re: Creating the Recovery RDB in Exchange 2010

Your new-mailboxdatabase command line is missing the option "-recovery" so you mostlikely created a simple new mailbox database and not a recovery database.

The full command would be something like

New-MailboxDatabase -Recovery -Name RDB2 -Server MBX1 -EdbFilePath "C:\Recovery\RDB2\RDB2.EDB" -LogFolderPath "C:\Recovery\RDB2"

The file will be created once the restore of the databse using your backup/restore software is done.

After that following the information given by your link should be possible again.

Hi FischFra,

Thanks for that.

When I create the first time I didn't see anything in the folder because I didn't mount the database, as I said really new to exchange.
      But I think that I left the –recovery out as I received "True" value under the Recovery.
      All I have to do now is to understand the ReplicationType
      Again thank you for your help.

Hi Avi,

Can i ask what type of restore are you trying to achieve ?
        Exchange retained by default 14 days of HARD deleted items, and you can easily restore them as a user even, from outlook.

RDB is required when using a restore of a database backup, if needed.
        the replication type does not affect the RDB usage, as it does not replicate and does not allow "normal" user connectivity to it, only restore-mailbox can operate against that special database when it is restored and mounted..

Please update,

Best Regards,

The recovery database is created on demand. It is not something that is created as part of the setup, and after its use it should be dropped. Therefore the setup of your server is correct.
          If the Exchange best practises tool is run, and it finds an recovery database then it will flag it as an warning.

Full recovery of a mailbox is not usual. As already pointed out, Exchange has a feature known as deleted item retention, which means that recovery is often not required. I haven't had to recover a full mailbox for some time.

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

hi all,

My apologies for the late reply.

thank you all for the information, I read about the RDB and now understand that this is something that I need to create and then from the backup move the dB and then do a restore.
            I need to do two types of restores,
            The first restore is of the user mailbox - if something happen I can go back to and restore from all the mail boxes or any number of mail boxes.
            The second restore is for items within the user’s mail box: deleted email/s or a group of emails for a period of time, user's folder etc. - basically any items within the database

Again thank you for your help