No announcement yet.

Cant seem to get autodiscover working

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cant seem to get autodiscover working

    Hello, I have an exchange 2010 environment and autodiscover seems to have stopped working. Existing Windows 7 and 8 clients are getting mail but installing Office 2016 on new machine cannot see the mail server.....Doing a repair (just to check autodiscover) on an existing client fails to see the server.

    I tried an SRV record and an A record for autodiscover and still no luck. The server is up and running and mail is flowing but new outlook clients aren't able to autodiscover. Even manually filling in the settings does not result in outlook being set up correctly.

    I'm using the self signed certificate and a .local internal domain, so autodiscover does not need to be working externally, only internally.

    Running client autodiscover test results in :

    autodiscover .xml found through SCP
    Autodiscover to Https://server.localdomain.local/aut...utodiscoer.xml failed error (0x80004005)
    all the http attempts after this also fail.

    I've tried deleting and recreating the autodiscover virtual directory, still no luck. I currently have an A record in DNS and have deleted the SRV record.
    In IIS I have allowed browsing so that I can see the files but still no luck getting autodiscover to recognize the server and configure the clients....

    Any thoughts on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated, I'm not an Exchange guru.

  • #2
    Update...decided to try and delete the autodiscover VD and recreate it....this is erroring out saying that the object exists in AD already...I deleted it in ADSIedit and Metabase editor...dont know where else it could be; ..The error results follow:

    Summary: 4 item(s). 3 succeeded, 1 failed.
    Elapsed time: 00:00:08


    IIS://Server.MerlinSystems.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Autodiscover wasn't found. Please make sure you've typed it correctly.

    Exchange Management Shell command completed:
    Get-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -Identity 'SERVER\Autodiscover (Default Web Site)'

    Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

    Write file

    Exchange Management Shell command completed:
    Write binary stream into the file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Server.MerlinSystems.local_Autodiscover (Default Web Site)_log.txt'.

    Elapsed Time: 00:00:00


    Exchange Management Shell command completed:
    Remove-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -Identity 'SERVER\Autodiscover (Default Web Site)'

    Elapsed Time: 00:00:02


    The Active Directory object for virtual directory 'IIS://Server.MerlinSystems.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Autodiscover' on 'SERVER' could not be created. This might be because the object already exists in Active Directory. Remove the object from Active Directory, then re-create it.

    Unexpected Error

    Exchange Management Shell command attempted:
    New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory -WebSiteName 'Default Web Site'

    Elapsed Time: 00:00:04
    Last edited by Merlin999; 31st December 2015, 15:18.


    • #3
      Also trying to recreate virtual directory in EMC but the Autodicovery Virtual directory dosent show up in the list