E-mail server for production.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-mail server for production.

I just wonder if somebody have experience with open source groupware systems. I would like to use something else then exchange for our customers. I really like Microsoft Exchange and believe is the best solution on the market but because Microsoft tries to force everybody to move to cloud I donít want to deal with them anymore. I donít want to use clouds like Google or Microsoft (or any other) and have for this some reasons but they are not part of this question. I also donít want to use any semi open source system like Zimbra, where the most important features are not available in community edition.
    Recently, instead of using cloud systems we installed OwnCloud and I must say Ė Iím really happy of this. Of course, itís not perfect and have some problems but in general is very good and reliable. I also use Zabbix and Nfsen as monitoring software and OTRS as helpdesk. Iím quite happy of both so looking for similar quality on e-mail, calendar, contacts and tasks. Main requirement is reliability not features. I want stable solution which will work with hundreds of big mailboxes Ė 25GB and over, with reasonable speed.
    It would be great to use Outlook but not sure how stable it will be - maybe IMAP with calendar and contact synchronization? Any way, it must connect to phone with active sync and desktop client as webmail is not practical.
    I was looking at Citadel, Horde, Kolab and iRedMail Ė all looks promising but wasnít able to find opinions from somebody who has them in production.
    Could you advise me please?

but because Microsoft tries to force everybody to move to cloud I donít want to deal with them anymore - That's a spurious statement at best. Microsoft isn't forcing anyone to do anything. If you want to run Exchange on premises you're fully able to do so. Don't make technical decisions based on half-baked emotional responses.

Comment

There is a reason why you are finding no one with those in production - and that is because they are not well liked by the end users. Open source can do plain email very well, but the collaboration functionality is just not there. Then you have mobile email access. You can use POP/IMAP, but with the associated hit on battery life and data use on the mobile devices - neither of those protocols are designed for mobile use. ActiveSync is licenced by a few, but that will involve cost. Then you have the problem of support - you would have to get trained and finding someone else to support a niche product is going to be difficult.

You mention "your customers" - do you really think it is a good idea to enforce something on to them because you don't like Microsoft? From a pure business perspective, you are going the quickest way to loosing your customers. If you really want to annoy your end users, why not go the whole way and inflict OpenOffice on them as well!

Are they using Office now? If so, you can effectively get email services for 70p/mailbox/month (UK pricing). The bulk of the Office365 subscription goes to the cost of Office licences.

If you were seeking opinions, you are in the wrong place - this is an Exchange forum. Try Reddit.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I like Exchange and even don't try to discuss what is better - I just don't like Microsoft policy. I will try on different forum.

Comment

I don't understand what microsoft policy has to do with this. Microsoft is absolutely, definitely not forcing everyone to move to cloud. At least, not in my experience as a silver partner.

In many instances thought, it can be a better option. Like all IT, it's about best fit for purpose.
          Most of my clients, cloud is a better fit for numerous reasons.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            I don't understand what microsoft policy has to do with this. Microsoft is absolutely, definitely not forcing everyone to move to cloud. At least, not in my experience as a silver partner.

In many instances thought, it can be a better option. Like all IT, it's about best fit for purpose.
            Most of my clients, cloud is a better fit for numerous reasons.
            This question seems to be more a misinformed rant against Microsoft than it is about making a sound technical decision. As you and I have stated, Microsoft has no policy regarding, and is not forcing customers into, the cloud. Running Exchange Server 2016 on premises is perfectly valid and is 100% supported by Microsoft.

Comment

Well, what I mean in forcing to move to Office 365:

1. They constantly increase prices for licenses to make sure on premises option will not be competition for their cloud
              2. They make sure there will be no competition for their cloud (independent exchange providers) - again license prices
              3. Brainwash - called marketing campaign to make sure companies will move to their Office 365 because everybody does this
              4. All improvements win Exchange will be done only to suit their cloud not local exchange. So even they could possibly introduce some features which will be benefit onsite - they just simply want do. Instead whatever was useful (like removing management console, MAPI in Exchange 2013) they remove.
              Last edited by biggles77; 23rd December 2015, 12:40. Reason: Remove white space.

Comment

Originally posted by Pet View Post
                Well, what I mean in forcing to move to Office 365:

1. They constantly increase prices for licenses to make sure on premises option will not be competition for their cloud
                2. They make sure there will be no competition for their cloud (independent exchange providers) - again license prices
                3. Brainwash - called marketing campaign to make sure companies will move to their Office 365 because everybody does this
                4. All improvements win Exchange will be done only to suit their cloud not local exchange. So even they could possibly introduce some features which will be benefit onsite - they just simply want do. Instead whatever was useful (like removing management console, MAPI in Exchange 2013) they remove.
                I'm sorry if it seems I'm picking on you but I'm really not. You're doing nothing more than ranting about Microsoft's business practices because you don't like them. They're doing the same things that every other business does: increase prices, limit competition, move customers to the preferred platform, etc., etc. With all of that said, they're not forcing you or anyone else to do anything. You have choices.
                Last edited by biggles77; 23rd December 2015, 12:41. Reason: Remove white space from quote..

Comment

joe,

Yes, I have choice like AT&T customer in 1970-ties. This issue was resolved by US Department of Justis in 1984 but I bet this time this won't be the case.

Comment

Working...
                  X