Clear All

• Exchange 2010 - On its own Server

I install a exchange 2010 this server

2 xeon duel cores
    1tb storage array
    4gb memory

windows 2008 r2
    Exchange 2010

Exchange is a pig, the system moved extremely fast prior to installing exchange and now its like wait for a bus on a Sunday morning. Exchange requires its own server with at least 8 but 16gb would be better. Its a real shame that MS tried to make the product more then what it need to be.

Re: Exchange 2010 - On its own Server

Since Exchange is designed to support hundreds of mailboxes on one server, it will use all system resources to its best ability. I doubt if anyone would say it is "more than it needs to be"

If you only need to work with a handful of users, look at SBS
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Exchange 2010 - On its own Server

There are so many factors that can affect the performance of Exchange. The major one being its storage. Third party applications can also be a factor in the performance of the server.
      I run my home system on a lot less than what you have quoted, and it runs fine.

However if you are trying to do everything on the same machine, then it can be an issue. One technique is to split everything up using virtual machines, if the hardware is compatible.

4gb of RAM these days is very low though, my laptop has more than that, as does my main workstation. RAM is cheap, put some more in. 4gb of RAM is also the minimum you can expect Exchange to run on, 8gb is the preferred point.
      However did you specify the server using any of the tools from Microsoft beforehand? That will give you an idea of the kind of server specification that you would need for your deployment.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.