No announcement yet.

Outlook 2007 synchronizing changes

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 synchronizing changes

I have implemented some Exchange servers (2007 SP3) in a lab.

Two CAS+HUB servers with NLB and a Mailbox server (with no Failover Clustering yet).

The thing is that I deleted an email from my mobile, and it has been 20 minutes since then and Outlook 2007 is not aware of this change yet.

Could I set a parameter to say to outlook to check whether there have been changes every five minutes, or even every three minutes?

Is this what is called: "push" ?.

I thought every time there was a change in OWA or Outlook or ActiveSync , the other devices would know right away.

I am reading this:

Downloading server changes: When a server side mailbox change occurs (for instance when a new message arrives or an item in a shared folder is updated by a delegate), Outlook is notified by the Exchange server of this change. By default, Outlook will then wait 30 seconds before synchronizing these changes. If there are any other changes occurring at the server level within these 30 seconds, then these changes are downloaded at the same time as well.

From this article:

Last edited by loureed4; 24th November 2015, 10:37.
    Madrid (Spain).

From my experience i know that need some time to understand changes if Outlook works in cache mode. I don't know exactly the time but it's sure it's more than 30 seconds.

In Cache mode do you have try to schedule and automatic Send/Receive?

Use Outlook in online mode and will be understand changes right away.

Thanks a lot Ktzouv
      Madrid (Spain).

You say this is a test environment, so I suggest your mailbox content isn't large? Try turning off cache mode, see if it makes any difference. (Also, both these products are very old and if not already out of support, will be soon)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Thanks tehcamel.

Was it not cache mode for when people were offline, to have their emails, and contacts, and to be able to write emails ?.

If it is turned off, they won't be able to work off-line, I assume?

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes, the mailboxs contain only test emails, just a few of them.
          Madrid (Spain).

Correct, Cache mode is for when the server is unavailable. It allows a user to keep working (albeit new emails won't be sent)
            However, it can be a bit clumsy at times - the OST(local cache file) doesn't retrieve or overwrite free space, so after a while it gets unwieldy.
            It does also make it faster though as well.

It wouldn't find it uncommon to see behaviour you speak of with Outlook 2007 with large (many GBs) mailboxes when in cache mode. turning off cache mode, compacting the cache or rebuilding the cache can assist.

In your case, with only a few emails, it shouldn't be occuring, it was just a thought, to see if it is caching playing up. (If caching is playing up and you turn it off, it should come right.)
            I wouldn't, in general, suggest turning off caching for live mailboxes.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Wow, really informative, so much appreciated!
              Madrid (Spain).

ActiveSync does not sync deletions in real time. It is only the incoming that is push. Therefore it can take some time before a deletion is seen by the client, as it has to sync to the mailbox server, then back to the client.
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
                Exchange Resources List:
                In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.