exchange 2010 and AD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange 2010 and AD

I installed windows 2008 r2 with ad and dns, then I install exchange 2010 everything install as it should have, but exchange does not show up in ad, I think i might have missed a step or two, or do user have to be add separately into exchange. Can some one direct me to documentation on what i might have missed or what i need to do now to integrated exchange into AD

thanks

Re: exchange 2010 and AD

If you are looking to manage Exchange properties through Active Directory Users and Computers, you cannot do that now. Use the Exchange Management Console, which will let you e.g. create new users as well as manage the Exchange side of existing ones
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ok, so unlike exchange 2003 where you we set up a user in ad and it would create a exchange user/mailbox, now under 2010 use create the use in ad and recreate the user in 2010??

Comment

No, not exactly
        You can create users in ADUC or in EMC, and manage the Exchange side of users in EMC only
        (of course you can also use powershell to script it all)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You have been a great help, thanks for the insight. But i am wondering why MS can not build on what works and make that better. Again thanks for the insght.....

Comment

i add a user thru EMC, user is AD, access exchange via OWA and it keeps telling my user name and password are wrong

tried use domain\username and just username still no luck any thoughts??

Comment

Does the user appear in ADUC?
              Can you log onto a client as the user?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Yes and Yes, there are probably a lot of pieces that i am missing.

I also got this message: "Domain has an unknown Exchange signature" how do correct this?

thanks
                Last edited by shg2001; 7th August 2010, 17:08.

Comment

Domain has an unknown signature is a known bug and can be ignored.

The split of user and mailbox management was requested by Microsoft's major customers.
                  You need to remember that Exchange is no longer aimed at smaller sites.

SBS 2008 does provide the single user and mailbox creation process using the wizards. However above that most places, in Microsoft's opinion anyway, will have separate user and Exchange management personnel. It isn't going back to a single management tool method. Exchange is managed through EMC/EMS and users are managed through ADUC. Get used to it.

Simon.
                  --
                  Simon Butler
                  Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                  More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                  Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                  In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                  X