Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup two exchange servers in Same AD domain

Hello,

i have A.D named :XYZ.Local . and setup already exchange server with public domain to my client domain which is client1.com .so his users logon to XYZ.local AD and working fine on their public domain.

Other client users are using same AD domain to login to their resources but asked me if they can setup dedicated exchange server under same AD but host their public domain client2.com?

Is that doable in same AD ? what changes needed to be done and is it safe?

You don't need a separate Exchange server, just an additional accepted domain and address policy
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

1. Each client preferred to have his own server .
      2. The 1st exchange server is having all roles and its in production which dont prefer to touch it

Comment

How many users will you have for each for each Exchange box?
        Do they realise the expense of having a second Exchange Server and the CALs required especially as this can be fairly easily done on the present Exchange Server. I can't say how as I have been out of Exchange for about 9 years but it was easily done on Exchange 2003 so I can only imagine it will be even easier on .... what version of Exchange are you running?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you for your reply. my question is simply do we have any problem of having two exchange in same A.D that hosts emails for different domains? i know we have the easiest option to configure the 2nd client on existing exchange server but since each company asked for dedicted VM for .i need the answer with supported link if no risk it there

Comment

Ok, as I said that is now beyond what I am now able to do but Sembee and some others will be best able to help you with this. It would be good if they knew what version of Exchange you are running and what Server operating system may also be good to know.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

OS Windows 2012, Exchange 2013 .

Comment

AFAIK all the Exchange servers will have to be part of the same Exchange Organisation (bounded by the AD forest) so I doubt there will any benefits of having separate servers. Why doesn't the other organisation use Exchange Online if they want separation?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No accepted to go to Online. all what i look for is having any KB or article shows that its doable or risky.

appreciated

Comment

How much separation do you need between the two organisations (bearing in mind they are sharing AD)?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Hello, My original question was is there any concerns or impact on this setup by having two mail servers in same AD? if yes what are they ? and is it recommended or not?

Comment

Setup is as this : Active directory is LocalDomain.local .
                        Client 1 public domain is client1.com
                        CLient2 is public domain client2.com . we started with setup AD and public domain client1.com for client1 users. Then we are working on setup client2 users on same AD forest? Client2 asked can we have separate exchange server or not?

Comment

You can have multiple exchange servers but they will be part of the same Exchange Organization. Normally single vs multiple servers comes down to scalability / redundancy / high availability rather than security. In your case there doesn't seem to be any technical reason to have multiple servers, just client's wishes.
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Thank you. You are right. This is client wish to have his own separate exchange server from current Production Exchange server running.
                            from my side : i need to be sure that we can setup for him what is needed without worrying from affecting the current AD or production exchange server.

Comment

Please be aware that it will NOT be a separate Exchange server - it will be a second server in the current exchange environment, so management tools will work across both servers. It will also make changes to AD (minor since Exchange is already in AD)

I really don't think your client understands what they are asking for - do they have a business case for it?

Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X