Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange transaction log files

Hi ,

We are using Windows Server 2012 and Exchange 2013 is installed on it.

Now my in my database folder , files are getting increasing very speedily somehow since last 3 days...it occupied 10 gb in 2 days and my drive is getting full rapidly...

I search and found windows server backup can help but same time many users are saying , even though windows server backup will not purge the log files..So what will be the best way to take the backup and truncate log files..

Also what could be the reason behind this , suddenly the transaction log files are get increasing ...

thanks..

The reason the transaction logs are growing is that Exchange is not being backed up by an Exchange Aware backup application. If they were previously getting deleted after backup, look for changes in the backup software.

As you have already found, Windows Server Backup is Exchange Aware, so should truncate the log files for you:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...xchg.150).aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply...

I use the same steps mentioned in that link , but still my logs are not truncate automatically , do i need to restart my server to take effect ..

Is there any other way , I can truncate the log files automatically..

Thank you...

Comment

If you are willing to take the risk of database loss, you could enable circular logging, but I would not recommend it. Suggest you investigate event logs etc to find out why the log files are not being deleted
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,
          I check the backup status using command shell and it shows it completed successfully...

Thanks
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi ,

I tried once more and now the log files are trunkate automatically ...but still the space of Mailbox folder is getting filling 1 gb per hour...why its increasing this much rapidly..

What could be the reason..Does someone trying to send us spams or making attacks on us...

How to identify if someone is attacking on us..

Thanks...

Comment

That is a totally separate issue - you will need to investigate the message tracking logs (or possibly talk to your users)
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Hi ,

I tried this settings mentioned in this link

http://www.blog.edbtopst.org/log-fil...isk-space.html

but when I am running this Exmon console , it shows totally blank screen and no csv log file is created...so what could be the issue...

Thanks..

Comment

Hi, just a thought. You could create a couple of new mailbox databases, large mailboxes, small mailboxes or something and then move users to them. Also keep an eye on the database sizes. If you notice the old database stop growing and the new database start to grow when the problematic user is moved then you could isolate the problem.
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Hi , I run this query to check the mailbox size and getting some errors about objects , what are those..

Query :
                    C:\>Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Get-MailboxStatistics | Sort-Object TotalItemSize -Descending | Select-Object DisplayName,TotalItemSize -First 30
                    Errors :
                    PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Get-MailboxStatistics | Sort-Object TotalItemSize -Descendi
                    ng | Select-Object DisplayName,TotalItemSize -First 100
                    WARNING: The object BGGL00.local/U_BayVL00/U_Dpts/U_IT/Users/BGGL_Server_LAN has been corrupted, and it's in an
                    inconsistent state. The following validation errors happened:
                    WARNING: DisplayName is mandatory on UserMailbox.
                    WARNING: The object 98aaa09b-7c64-4858-b873-f31d6dc095e6 has been corrupted, and it's in an inconsistent state. The
                    following validation errors happened:
                    WARNING: Property is too short: The minimum length is 1; the specified length is 0.
                    WARNING: The user hasn't logged on to mailbox 'BayVL00.local/Users/DiscoverySearchMailbox
                    {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}' ('4b0838d1-04b5-40ec-abe6-2f8790dfcbd1'), so there is no data to return. After
                    the user logs on, this warning will no longer appear.

DisplayName TotalItemSize
                    ----------- -------------
                    Journaling 17.44 GB (18,722,136,276 bytes)
                    Lu, John 13.38 GB (14,365,262,580 bytes)

please help

Comment

Hi ,

I check my database status , and found its healthy ..so what could be the reason behind increasing the transaction files rapidly...

Thanks..

Comment

Lots of (or large) emails sent / received
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for the quick reply...So Do i need to ask my users to search for large mails with attachment to be moved to a local pst and then restart outlook and exchange and check...

Thanks..

Comment

(sigh) Why do I feel we are going around in circles here?

Moving them to a PST won't help reduce the log file size. The log files are generated when email comes into the mailbox database.
                            To reduce the size of the log files, increase the frequency of backups (using an Exchange Aware backup application)
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply.. I am taking a daily backup using WSB but the thing is earlier the log files were not creating this much frequently , earlier in a full day , it was consuming 2 gb in full 24 hours but now its consuming 20gb in 24 hours...so what could be the reason for this...

Thanks...

Comment

Working...
                              X