Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAG member in a site without DC

Hello,

I am studying the DAG feature in Exchange 2010.

I was wondering: Could I set up a member in a site (Active Directory Site) with no domain controllers?

I don't see it as a requirement, but I think you needed it in the Exchange 2007 Cluster continous replication.

Thanks in advance.
    -
    Madrid (Spain).

Without checking the requirments, I'd be astounded if a DC isn't required. Firstly, access to a GC is a requirement for all versions of Exchange to start. Secondly, if you're implementing a DAG then HA/DR is at least a factor, if not the ultimate goal of having the DAG and so again a local DC is a must.

Even if it wasn't a requirement (and I'm 100% certain that it is) the cost of Exchange licenses to implement a DAG makes the cost of another Windows Server license for a DC pretty much insignificant, particularly if you are virtualising.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Thanks Cruachan for your help.

You wrote: "...Firstly, access to a GC is a requirement for all versions of Exchange to start..."

But, as far as I know, any computer can access to another site's global catalog server as long as there is a reliable wan link.

Also, quoting from you: "... Secondly, if you're implementing a DAG then HA/DR is at least a factor, if not the ultimate goal of having the DAG and so again a local DC is a must..."

I am not an expert whatsoever but I don't see the link between High availability/Distaer Recovery (HA/DR) and having a local DC in that site. I mean, I could have two domain controllers in the main site, for instance...I think.

Thanks a lot!
      -
      Madrid (Spain).

Comment

But while there may not be a strict requirement for a local DC, HA involves planning for all sorts of disasters, so if your link to the main site goes down, does it matter how many DCs are there if the DR site can't reach them?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You pretty much answered your own question there with "as long as there is a reliable WAN link". If I was asked to evaluate a DR plan and anything, never mind Exchange, was dependant on another site then that would be a huge red flag for me. DR means planning for every eventuality (within reason) so 2 DCs at the main site can instantly be knocked out by a telecoms failure, or the power company cutting through the external supply, or a fire or any of dozens of other scenarios.

As I said, even if this a valid deployment scenario, which I doubt, I can't see any reason why someone would want to do it as pretty much the only thing more fundamental than AD is DNS, and that's because nothing, including AD, will function without DNS.

Edit: Ossian posted as I was typing and covered it rather more succintly!
          Last edited by cruachan; 14th September 2015, 13:11.
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Actually taking the time to check it, a local GC is a requirement for each AD site containing an Exchange server as I thought.

As stated by Microsoft, to install Exchange Server 2010, the Schema master should have "the latest 32-bit or 64-bit edition of the Windows Server 2003 Standard or Enterprise operating system or the latest 32-bit or 64-bit edition of the Windows Server 2008 Standard or Enterprise operating system." Additionally, in each Active Directory site where you plan to install Exchange Server 2010, you must have at least one Global Catalog server that meets the same criteria.

Source:-

http://searchitchannel.techtarget.co...tive-Directory
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I am really grateful for your answers! , thanks also for your time!
              -
              Madrid (Spain).

Comment

Working...
              X