Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move public folders

How do I move public folders?

Can you explain a bit more what you are trying to do?
    Move between servers?
    Move in hierarchy?

Also what Exchange version are you using?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes of course. Move between server both Exchange 2013 and all folders are mail enabled and some have subfolders.

Comment

I have tried New-PublicFolderMoveRequest -Folders \MyFolder -TargetMailbox "My Mailbox Database" and it fails with this error

Couldn't find recipient "My Mailbox Database".
        + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: ( : ) [New-PublicFolderMoveRequest], ManagementObjectNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=X,RequestId=f5f70082-71e8-49d1-8579-ebfa03a4aa80,TimeStamp=29-06-2015 0
        6:18:41] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ManagementObjectNotFoundException] 95935ADE,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Recipie
        ntTasks.NewPublicFolderMoveRequest
        + PSComputerName : x.x.x

Any ideas?

Comment

You have to move public folders between public folder mailboxes. You can't just move public folders to a database.

If you're trying to just move the public folder mailbox then that is done with a mailbox move request:
          https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...xchg.150).aspx

If you want to move some public folders to another mailbox database, you then need to create a new public folder mailbox in the database and then move the public folders to that mailbox. Notice that New-PublicFolderMoveRequest has the switch -TargetMailbox and not -TargetDatabase.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

How can I see what database the public folders are in?

Comment

Get-PublicFolderDatabase with any of the switches return nothing, on both servers.

Comment

Running Get-PublicFolder it returns
                Name Parent Path
                ---- -----------
                IPM_SUBTREE

But when I am in EAC I can see all my public folders and subfolders

Comment

First, to find what database a public folder is in, you need to find out what mailbox it's in. You can do so by running this command:
                  Code:
                  Get-PublicFolder -Recurse | select identity,MailboxOwnerId | ft -AutoSize
                  You can then see where your public folder mailboxes are using this command:
                  Code:
                  Get-Mailbox -PublicFolder | ft name,database -AutoSize
                  Or if you wanted it all in one command:

Code:
                  Get-PublicFolder -Recurse | select identity,MailboxOwnerId,@{name='Database';expression={(Get-mailbox $_.MailboxOwnerId -PublicFolder).Database}} | ft -AutoSize
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by hilsoe View Post
                    Get-PublicFolderDatabase with any of the switches return nothing, on both servers.
                    The reason is there are no public folder databases in Exchange 2013. That command is for administering Exchange 2010 servers. Run Get-Help Get-PublicFolderDatabase and you'll see that it applies to Exchange 2010 and earlier.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Okay, so how do I move the publicfolders?

Comment

You do so by moving the public folder mailbox to a different database:
                        https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...hg.150%29.aspx

Or you can create a new public folder mailbox on a different database and move some public folders to the new mailbox.
                        Regards,
                        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have tried the commands from the TechNet link you posted
                          New-MoveRequest -Identity "\PublicFolderName" -TargetDatabase "Mailbox Database xxx"
                          New-MoveRequest -Identity "\PublicFolderName" -TargetDatabase "Mailbox Database xxx"

and the response was
                          The operation couldn't be performed because object '\PublicFolderName' couldn't be found on 'PDC.domain.local'.
                          The operation couldn't be performed because object '\PublicFolderName\' couldn't be found on 'PDC.domain.local'.

Comment

Public folders are stored in public folder mailboxes.
                            You can move public folders between public folder mailboxes.
                            You can move public folder mailboxes between databases.

Run this command to find out what public folder mailbox your public folders are in:
                            Code:
                            Get-PublicFolder -Recurse | select identity,MailboxOwnerId,@{name='Database';expression={(Get-mailbox $_.MailboxOwnerId -PublicFolder).Database}} | ft -AutoSize
                            Once you know what public folder mailbox your public folders are in, you can then move the public folder mailbox to the database you want.
                            Code:
                            New-MoveRequest -Identity "PublicFolderMailboxName" -TargetDatabase "Mailbox Database xxx"
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

How do I determine what the PublicFolderMailboxName is?

Comment

Working...
                              X