No announcement yet.

Making Exchange setup live.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Exchange setup live.

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm new to Exchange and email servers in general, so am not sure I have the right idea...

I have cofigured an Exchange server 2010 by watching YouTube Videos on Exchange 2010. I don't understand how to get the final part working though,i.e., able to send and receive mails from external domains.

I have a domain hosted with Go Daddy and can edit the nameservers, MX records etc, but have no idea what to set the MX records as to get external email working!.

My setup:
    • Broadband connection from ISP which goes to Dlink switch. From switch i distributed IP address to Machines(St
    • My server running DC (domain is ""), DNS, DHCP and Exchange 2010
    • Domain "" (external) - registrar(Go Daddy) lets you add/change the following record types: A, CNAME, MX, URL, FRAME, TXT, SRV
    What I have tried:

Setting MX record, result: IP address not accepted - it has to be a hostname - no idea what to put here!

What can I do to get this working?

If it helps, my domain registrar allows me to create the following types of record (A, CNAME, MX, URL, FRAME, TXT, SRV).

Do you have a static IP on your ISP router?
    If so, change your MX records to point to that IP
    Separately create an accepted domain and email address policy for your external domain in Exchange
    On your router, forward port 25 to the internal IP of the mail server

That should be all you need to do to send/receive email - if you want secure external access (OWA, Outlook Anywhere, Active Sync) you will also need to forward port 443 and get a suitable SSL certificate

If you don't have a static IP, try to get one, and if you can't then use : to look into Exchange on a dynamic IP address
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thanks Ossian, will try above suggested steps.