No announcement yet.

Need Advise For DAG server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advise For DAG server

I have exchange 2013 CU2, on windows server 2012 r2 and the physical machine is HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8.
    Now I want to implement a DAG server, can anyone please guide me through the requirements like which machine I should purchase for the DAG and can I use windows server 2008 R2 standard. and how to make the physical connection with the existing server.
    I have 1TB on existing server, does the server I implement in DAG should have the same amount of Storage.
    thanks all and appreciate your assistance.

Can you do a bit of research ( is quite helpful) and get an idea of the requirements and process, then come back with specific questions
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I agree with Ossian, do a bit of reading and then come back with questions.
      This should answer a lot of your questions:

One thing to definitely note is that 2008 R2 Standard won't work. You need the failover clustering feature which is only in Enterprise and Datacenter for 2008 R2. In 2012 and up it comes in Standard.

Also note that you are limited to 4 database copies per mailbox server with Exchange 2013 Standard. Exchange 2013 Enterprise is 100 I think.

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Exchange 2013 CU2 is no longer supported. Therefore before you do anything the machine needs to be brought up to date. Most do not consider Exchange 2013 complete until SP1 (aka CU4) but we are now on CU8, and Microsoft only support the current and previous CU, so you are very out of date.
        In short, the DAG nodes need to be identical in OS and storage configuration. Therefore a Windows 2008 R2 server is not going to work for you. You could wipe it and upgrade to the same OS as you have on the first machine.
        The storage layout needs to be identical, so if you have C, D and E (with C OS, D logs and E database) then you need that on the second server.
        Same for patch level and Exchange version.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thanks a Lot Guys, now I got my views clear.

I will sure go for same server machine & configuration to keep it simple and manageable.