Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble moving public folders from SBS 2003 Exchange to Exchange 2010 on Server 2008

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble moving public folders from SBS 2003 Exchange to Exchange 2010 on Server 2008

I have been working on a migration project for a customer migrating them from a single Small Business Server 2003 environment to a multi-server 2008 R2/Exchange 2010 environment. So far everything has gone well with the exception of the public folders. I went into the SBS03 box ESM, right clicked the Public Folder Store and told it to Move All Replicas, chose the new server and thought all was good. However, all that has replicated after 24 hours is the folder tree. No actual data is showing up in the public folders of the new server.

There is a OldServer->NewServer connector and the SmallBusiness SMTP connector does not have a forwarder listed as others have had me check. I cannot figure out what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Andrew

Re: Trouble moving public folders from SBS 2003 Exchange to Exchange 2010 on Server 2

Check that there are no firewalls or AV blocking the Public folder move. I had issues in the past and it ended up being the AV. I also had to wait a week until they were all fully moved over.

Comment

Re: Trouble moving public folders from SBS 2003 Exchange to Exchange 2010 on Server 2

Thanks Virtual. I will double check that. Did you have a lot of data in your public folders? We have less than 10GB so I never would have thought it would take that long to replicate over.

Comment

Not even 1GB worth. I went through the option to move replicas again after preventing AV from blocking it. The setting blocking it was one that stopped spammers. It detected a considerable amount of abnormal traffic coming from the server.

Comment

Yikes. So were your users unable to access the public folders for that week or did the data just trickle in? All my public folders are still empty.

Comment

They could access it all as normal. It was the replication part that was being blocked. I found the blocking reference in the security log as some of the AV settings allows you to block or log or do both.

Comment

None of my users can access the public folders. The folder heirarchy is there but the folders have no content in them.

Comment

I never had that problem. Have you left your mailboxes on the SBS 2k3 server at the moment?
                Last edited by Virtual; 19th July 2010, 07:57.

Comment

Much like Virtual I've seen this before. In my case it was Sophos PureMessage causing the issue, turning off all email tagging on the source and target servers resolved the issue.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

No, the mailboxes all moved perfectly. OWA and Outlook both connect internally and externally. We can all see the Public folder list, there is just no data in the folders.

Comment

Have the PF permissions changed so you cannot see the contents, or are there really no contents?
                      Do you still have access to the old PF tree (worst case could be export to PST and import into new folders)?
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

@Ossian - I do not believe they have changed. At least when I inspect them they appear the same. I cannot connect to the old server anymore with outlook nor owa or I would just export them.

Comment

You have only waited 24 hours?
                          You haven't waited long enough. If nothing has happened after a week, then something is wrong.

No, I am not kidding.

Public Folder replication is very conservative, it only replicates when it feels like it.
                          Replication traffic goes over SMTP, so ensure that the servers can telnet to each other on port 25 by name, IP address and FQDN. Message tracking will also show the replication traffic.

Simon.
                          --
                          Simon Butler
                          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                          X