Exchange 2010 transition remnants and concerns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 transition remnants and concerns

We recently transitioned from Exchange 2003 standard to Exchange 2010 standard. We created a lab environment using Hyper-V and images taken from our live servers. We successfully ran through the whole process multiple times until we were very happy that we knew of the pifalls and sequence of all the steps to complete the transition. We did it big-bang over 1 long night so that we didn’t have to add the legacy redirects within ISA and Exchange, and so it was simpler for users to understand.

The transition worked well with no problems, mailflow was working, the new OWA gained a lot of approval so we left it well alone for a week. After the first week of no real issues we moved the public folders to the new 2010 server, removed RUS and continued with the decommission of the 2003 server. We got to the final step of uninstalling Exchange 2003 and that’s when we encountered our first issues. The program wouldn’t uninstall correctly, it left the server in the First Administrative Group, and the Best practice Analyzer threw up lots of complaints. After much web searching I did a manual removal of Exchange 2003 from the server, then reinstalled the ESM to remove the server. This went well so we thought we were all done and dusted.

However as with most IT projects there is usually something that appears later on! I ran the BPA from Exchange 2010 and it showed up 3 things that rang mini alarm bells in my mind. These are:

• New Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT) is running in native Exchange 200x mode. I would have expected this to now be running native 2010 mode as that is the only server left in the First Organisation.

• Original ‘First Administrative Group’ still exists and is also in native Exchange 200x mode

• More worryingly is that BPA states under the original ‘First Administrative Group’ that “This is the default administrative group”. This is a worry given that the only Exchange server is the 2010 server in the other administrative group, and that all Exchange resources have been moved to the new 2010 server (policies, address books, public folders, SMTP send/receive connectors, etc).

Finally, if I open ESM on what used to be the Exchange 2003 server it shows that the ‘First Routing Group’ is still in existence. I don’t know if this is a problem or not. The Connectors and Members folders are both empty and if I expand the new Exchange Routing Group then I can see the new 2010 server in there as the master. I do realise that deleting the original ‘First Administrative Group’ is very much not recommended if it has previously contained mailboxes. Ours obviously has, as it was the 2003 Admin Group prior to the transition so I am absolutely happy to leave that in the Exchange Organisation.

I have done plenty of searching the web, reading books and forums and cant find anything that answers my concerns. I would like someone to advise me whether any of my concerns are of actual concern or if I am worrying about nothing. Additionally is there anything that I have listed that can safely be deleted, such as the old ‘First Routing Group’?

All advice is much appreciated
    Many thanks, Steve

Re: Exchange 2010 transition remnants and concerns

unless you manually increase the functional level, it would be normal for it to run in that earlier level.

the other stuff, I can't tell you for sure sorry
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What version of ExBPA have you run?
      There is no native Exchange 2007/2010 mode, so this messages can be savely ignored.
      I guess you don't want to change legacyExchangeDNs manually so let the first administrative group in place. It will not harm your Exchange 2010 installation in any way.

No clue what you mean with default administrative group.

In all my migrations I have deleted the routing groups associated to the old Exchange 2003 Administrative groups and I didn't encounter any problem doing so.

Comment

Did you follow the Technet article on how to remove the last legacy Exchange server? That explains everything. Although the failed removal of Exchange 2003 is somewhat of a concern. I am not a fan of manual hack outs as it is very easy to leave something behind.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

So far, thanks for the replies. It looks like I have certainly come to the right place for answers
          • The version of BPA is the one launched from the Exchange 2010 Management Console. Looking in Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin the ExBPA in there is version 14.0.639.21. It certainly doesn’t find any updates when I check for them.
          • Weird how there isn’t a new native mode for Exchange 2010. Does anyone have a fresh vanilla install of 2010 (no migrations/transitions) so they could do a check on that to see what mode it thinks its in?
          • I don’t mind changing the legacyExchangeDNs if that is the right approach. As I said before though, I am quite happy with keeping the original ‘First Administrative Group’ forever as that seems to be the recommended Microsoft approach.
          • I would love to post a screenshot of the BPA section that shows the administrative groups and the fact that it reports the Default Admin Group to be the old 2003 AG and not the new 2010 AG. Is there an easy way to post a screenshot (jpg) up here?
          • As for how I removed the last legacy Exchange Server. We did follow the Technet article along with about 3 or 4 other similar articles on the web. Referring to the technet article (technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(EXCHG.80).aspx) we have completed everything down to number 6. We haven’t altered anything for FreeBusy and we haven’t removed the DACL write privileges yet. When the software wouldn’t uninstall completely from the old 2003 server we were left with some services set to disabled, pretty empty program files, and some shortcuts in the start menu. We followed the msexchange.org article (msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html) to clean/remove the Exchange services, the program registry entries and IIS. After a reboot the server had no remnants of E2k3 on it so we re-installed the ESM utility to see if anything still showed in the First Admin Group. We were pretty sure the uninstall hadn’t removed the server from AD and didn’t fancy the manual AD edits to remove it as it is never as clean as doing it through ESM/uninstall. Once ESM was running again it allowed us to remove the old server cleanly so we were happy that the job was done. It wasn’t until we ran BPA about a week later that we noticed the alerts that I have posted about. I don’t believe we have removed E2k3 in a bad way as we haven’t done any manual editing of AD or otherwise.

I think I will remove the old routing group later this week if everyone agrees that is ok to do, and I am hoping someone will post some amazing answers to my remaining issues. If I can add any further information I will be happy to.
          Cheers
          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by snorth20 View Post
            So far, thanks for the replies. It looks like I have certainly come to the right place for answers
            • The version of BPA is the one launched from the Exchange 2010 Management Console. Looking in Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\bin the ExBPA in there is version 14.0.639.21. It certainly doesn’t find any updates when I check for them.
            • Weird how there isn’t a new native mode for Exchange 2010. Does anyone have a fresh vanilla install of 2010 (no migrations/transitions) so they could do a check on that to see what mode it thinks its in?
            • I don’t mind changing the legacyExchangeDNs if that is the right approach. As I said before though, I am quite happy with keeping the original ‘First Administrative Group’ forever as that seems to be the recommended Microsoft approach.
            • I would love to post a screenshot of the BPA section that shows the administrative groups and the fact that it reports the Default Admin Group to be the old 2003 AG and not the new 2010 AG. Is there an easy way to post a screenshot (jpg) up here?
            • As for how I removed the last legacy Exchange Server. We did follow the Technet article along with about 3 or 4 other similar articles on the web. Referring to the technet article (technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb288905(EXCHG.80).aspx) we have completed everything down to number 6. We haven’t altered anything for FreeBusy and we haven’t removed the DACL write privileges yet. When the software wouldn’t uninstall completely from the old 2003 server we were left with some services set to disabled, pretty empty program files, and some shortcuts in the start menu. We followed the msexchange.org article (msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html) to clean/remove the Exchange services, the program registry entries and IIS. After a reboot the server had no remnants of E2k3 on it so we re-installed the ESM utility to see if anything still showed in the First Admin Group. We were pretty sure the uninstall hadn’t removed the server from AD and didn’t fancy the manual AD edits to remove it as it is never as clean as doing it through ESM/uninstall. Once ESM was running again it allowed us to remove the old server cleanly so we were happy that the job was done. It wasn’t until we ran BPA about a week later that we noticed the alerts that I have posted about. I don’t believe we have removed E2k3 in a bad way as we haven’t done any manual editing of AD or otherwise.

I think I will remove the old routing group later this week if everyone agrees that is ok to do, and I am hoping someone will post some amazing answers to my remaining issues. If I can add any further information I will be happy to.
            Cheers
            Steve
            Hi snorth20,
            I can answer one your question: I installed exch2010 RC and later upgraded to RTM in a lab environment. So I just ran ExBPA and it looks like this:
            "
            Admin Group
            Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
            This administrative group is in native Exchange 200x mode.
            This is the default administrative group.
            Routing Group
            Server
            "

Moreover, according to http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/47632
            , exch2010 does not have routing groups as they are legacy. So it SHOULD be safe to delete.
            Hope this helps.

Regards,
            Leonid
            Regards,
            Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

Working...
            X