Database Disk Move Confimation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database Disk Move Confimation

I'm having to move my Exchange DB to our SAN this weekend. I've got the LUN carved out, connected to my Exchange server via iSCSI, and properly formated.

Now, all I need to do is go into EMC, right click my Exchange Store and hit Move Database Path.

Run through the Wizard, Express my new DB file path, click Move.

I'm assuming that this will take the DB offline and put it back online after the move.

Anything I'm missing there?

I've never done this before and just looking for some confirmation before I jump in.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: Database Disk Move Confimation

Back up everything first?

That will work on DAS so I presume, since the LUN is just another drive letter, it will work fine
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sounds fine to me.

although you could try doing it via powershell as well, just to get some practice with that..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        sounds fine to me.

although you could try doing it via powershell as well, just to get some practice with that..

Yeah, I saw the instructions for that as well.

I am planning to do this after our nightly backup completes, which is around 7PM.

Comment

Your plan sounds fine to me. The only caution I would give is to ignore any progress indicator while the database is being moved as they're notoriously innaccurate. Just let the process run until it says it's done.

Also, in my experience, any change to the Exchange databases (such as a move) will introduce a slight performance penalty for the first few days after the move. Be prepared for some calls releated to performance and just tell people to be patient with it.

Comment

And yes, it will take the store offline. There'll be no mail flowing in or out (messages sent to you will be queued for delivery rather than being lost) and no access to mail while the move is in progress.

Since your budget stretches to a SAN, hopefully it also stretches to a decent UPS too
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We have a very very large UPS in our datacenter, it can hold all 70+ servers, our SAN, and core switching components for roughly 14 minutes.

Comment

And a generator maybe? You'd have to be very unlucky to have a power outage halway through the DB move, but it's not something I'd want to have to cancel in order to shut the servers down
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  And a generator maybe? You'd have to be very unlucky to have a power outage halway through the DB move, but it's not something I'd want to have to cancel in order to shut the servers down
                  Oh, we have a generator too working at a hospital.

We have our APC battery backup that kick on instantly and a generator that kicks on with in 15 seconds, which resumes full power back to the APC unit.

Getting ready to start the transfer....

Comment

Good luck buddy
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

And we are done.

Moved about 60GB in roughly 15 minutes and I've been performing random tests since then.

Also, as joeqwerty said there is some lag in email right now. It's taking 4-5 minutes for emails to show up when normally they are instantly. No power users on this weekend, so hopefully things will be cleared up by Monday morning.

Thanks for all the guidance and support.

Comment

No worries. Now go make sure your boss buys you a pint
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

And given you are in a hospital, make sure you are very careful specifying what it is a pint OF
                          Tom Jones
                          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Mine's a Babycham and AB.
                            Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                            X