Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 port 25 closed

Hello All

This issue has been driving me crazy for 4 hours!

My server lost power, however it came back up about 10 mins later. However Exchange has taken a 'slight' wobble in that it no longer accepts incoming mail on port 25.

A simple telet to this port (from a LAN PC) shows:

telnet 172.16.0.20 25
    Connecting To 172.16.0.20...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed

When I was checking all the settings, I opened my Send Connector and received an error "Force Closed". I managed to remidy this by refreshing and removing the existing Send connectors and then re-adding them.

I then removed the Receive connector, restarted the transport service and then re-added and finally restarting again. Port 25 still wont come up.

After much faustration, I added a new Receive connector on port 26. This instantly came up and works fine. I managed to work around the issue by forwarding incoming connections on port 25 to port 26 at my firewall. By no means a fix, but a workaround for the time being.

I also noticed when adding the new Receive connector it only populated IPv4 addresses, where before it had both IPv4 and IPv6. I dont understand this one because IPv6 is enabled on the server.

I completely removed my AV software from the server, restarted but still the same issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really baffled by this one!

Cheers!

Dave

Re: Exchange 2010 port 25 closed

I would recommend (if you have not already) using something to see if port 25 is open at all, and what ports are listening. I like Nmap (zenmap).

Also, are there any other services running on this computer. Can we have some details about your OS/Firewall config (is the firewall ISA, and on the exchange server?).

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Review your event logs for the post crash startup

Now you know why a UPS is NOT a luxury item
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Guys

Appreciate your replies!

Forgot to mention that, I ran a port scan last night. Port 25 is showing as closed. Ran it again this morning, showing amongst others, port 26 is open. There are 2 Receive connectior configured, one on port 25.

Regarding the server itself, its running Win Server 2008 R2. Nothing else is on the VM. I removed the AV and rebooted last night. Firewall is running on Smoothwall, again running on a VM. Hypervisor is XenServer 5.5.

Regarding the event logs, I did initially check them. There was nothing that jumped out other that a few moans about services not starting. As soon as i saw that, I rebooted the server and everything seemed to come up as normal.

After plowing through the event logs again, i noticed these:

Code:

Direct mount operation failed for database (Guid=1af7f5eb-2a04-4065-a634-cba924cc803c, Error=Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionNetworkError: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make admin interface connection to server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227) Diagnostic context: ...... Lid: 12696 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Generation Time: 2010-07-01 01:24:12:408 Lid: 10648 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Generating component: 2 Lid: 14744 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Status: 1753 Lid: 9624 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Detection location: 501 Lid: 13720 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: Flags: 0 Lid: 11672 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: NumberOfParameters: 4 Lid: 8856 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[0]: Unicode string: ncalrpc Lid: 8856 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[1]: Unicode string: Lid: 12952 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[2]: Long val: -1988875570 Lid: 12952 dwParam: 0x6D9 Msg: EEInfo: prm[3]: Long val: 382312662 Lid: 24060 StoreEc: 0x80040115 Lid: 23746 Lid: 31938 StoreEc: 0x80040115 Lid: 19650 Lid: 27842 StoreEc: 0x80040115 Lid: 20866 Lid: 29058 StoreEc: 0x80040115 at Microsoft.Mapi.MapiExceptionHelper.ThrowIfError(String message, Int32 hresult, SafeExInterfaceHandle iUnknown) at Microsoft.Mapi.ExRpcAdmin.Create(String server, String user, String domain, String password) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmStoreHelper.Mount(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags flags) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.ActiveManagerCore.MountDatabaseDirect(Guid mdbGuid, MountFlags flags, AmDbActionCode actionCode) at Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ActiveManagerServer.AmRpcServer.<>c__DisplayClass19.<MountDatabaseDirect>b__18() at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Storage.Cluster.HaRpcExceptionWrapperBase`2.RunRpcServerOperation(String databaseName, RpcServerOperation rpcOperation)) And... Failed store mount for database 'Mailbox Database 1096804969' on DMLG-SVR-Exch.DMLG.co.uk (Duration=00:00:07.8617877, ErrorMessage=An Active Manager operation failed with a transient error. Please retry the operation. Error: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make admin interface connection to server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227) And... Failed to mount database 'Mailbox Database 1096804969' on DMLG-SVR-Exch.DMLG.co.uk (Duration=00:00:10.0274237, ErrorMessage=An Active Manager operation failed with a transient error. Please retry the operation. Error: A transient error occurred during discovery of the database availability group topology. Error: Database action failed with transient error. Error: A transient error occurred during a database operation. Error: MapiExceptionNetworkError: Unable to make admin interface connection to server. (hr=0x80040115, ec=-2147221227) Also see these in the App Event Log: Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=1284). Exchange Active Directory Provider has discovered the following servers with the following characteristics: (Server name | Roles | Enabled | Reachability | Synchronized | GC capable | PDC | SACL right | Critical Data | Netlogon | OS Version)
        Hopefully someone can see if the issue resides here...

Cheers!

Dave

Comment

Are you sure this isn't a Windows 2008 firewall issue? . Check the Windows 2008 firewall to make sure you are allowing port 25 on the correct profile.

You can always allow all profiles for now to rule this out as the cause.

Ste
          Steven Roberts
          IT Mercenary

MCITP:EA|MCTS|MCSE 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCSA 2003 (Messaging and Security)|MCP|Prince2 Practitioner

Don't forget to click on the Yin-Yang icon to leave reputation points if you think my advice has been worthwhile!

Comment

Hi Ste

Cheers for your reply

Firewall is completely turned off - and the service isnt running either.

Dave

Comment

Hi Guys

I appreciate the responces so far so thanks!

Although this isnt a big issue, since exchange seems to be working ok...would it be a better idea just to restore my VM back to a clean 2008 install and re-install exchange? It may be an easier option?

Or is this fixable?

Cheers,

Dave

Comment

I am pretty sure that you need to have the Windows Firewall service running, even if you have disabled the firewall.
                I would also check that the Exchange services are running - MS Exchange Transport specifically as that is what controls the SMTP traffic.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X