Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lotus Domino to the Exchange Migration

Hello Experts,

I really need a big help from Experts like you guys.. We have a new project coming up from client (Expected). The only thing which we are aware of the client is that they have 4 different sites with AD and they are using Lotus Domino for the messaging Solutions. They want us to migrate their Lotus Domino to the Exchange Server.

Now, can you all experts provide the list of questions, which i can asks to the client to grab the details for their Infrastructre. Please let me know all the questions to get as much as details and also those questions which requires importantly to migrate from Lotus to Exchange.. Please guys, its too urgent..

Awaiting Reply

Re: Lotus Domino to the Exchange Migration

What experience do YOU have with this? -- it is a major project and unless you have considerable experience with both exchange and domino, IMHO get someone qualified to do it else risk getting totally FUBAR.

First thing is to document existing infrastructure and policies and then think how to proceed.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello Ossian,

I don't have much experience on the same. However, i have been just asked to prepare the Questions to grab the existing Infrastructure details of client.
      what i want is to get the detailed information of the client's Existing Infrastructure. For that i need to prepare the questions, which would help me to get the Details of the existing Infra.

Please let me know the set of the questions which required to help me to get the details of their infra. and those details which imp and require to know for migrating Lotus to Exchange. . . .

Comment

How much do you know about AD and Exchange? (lets leave Domino out of it for the moment)

Documenting a windows infrastructure is a fairly standard process which anyone who has been through any server training or certification should be comfortable with.

Please do NOT take this as a personal attack, but if you do not have the basic skills and understanding of windows networks, how will you be able to understand the answers to questions like:
        "What are your domain and forest FLs?"

If you do have this understanding, you will have a good idea of the questions to ask -- we would be happy to review a list and make suggestions, but giving you questions that you do not understand will not help you or improve your credibility with the client.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,

I understand the point. I do have good Experience in the MS Technologies, as i have been working in it from past 11 years. Anyways, that is not at all matters right now.

Let me be very precise, the client is using the Lotus Domino purely for the messaging purpose. Now, they have a plan to migrate it to the Exchange Server. As we are unaware of the technical details of the client's existing infrastructure, that is why we want to prepare the questions with regards to grab as much as details we can.

NOTE: The questions required is to only related to the Lotus to exchange migration. Nothing else.

I have never got chance to be a part of such scenarios of Lotus to exchange migration, that is the reason, that i am seeking for help as this questions will indirectly show that are we technically worse or not for this.

Getting project and performing the migration is later part of the picture.

Hence, Would request you to please help me to get the same.

Awaiting Reply

Regards,

Comment

why don't you work out what information you need to build an Exchange infrastructure, and then frame your questions around that.

IE, if I was building an Exchange infrastructure, I would want to design the datastores based on mailbox limitations, I'd also ant to place the datastores effectively based on disk usages. I'd be concerned about network utilisation, specifically peak traffic. I'd want to know how much disk space I needed up front to migrate the mail in. I'd then plan my disk layouts accordingly to allow for expected growth in mailbox size. I'd make sure that I had an appropriate backup infrastructure in place. I'd ensure i had appropriate security, and options, configured on the client access servers, and any other assorted device servers that may be relevant.

I don't want to tell you what to ask, because that won't help you learn and understand. So instead, I've chosen to tell you the sort of information I'd require if I was designing the exchange infrastructure. A Windows Admin of 11 years should have the appropriate skills and attributes to be able to take the information I've given, and formulate it into relevant questions to find the information one needs.

I sincerely hope this helps you.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X