Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revert user's mailbox to a few days ago

Hi All-

A few days ago, one of my users tried to migrate over to Thunderbird IMAP from Outlook Exchange with the goal of copying all emails to a local folder within Thunderbird. His mailbox is 7+GB in size. During the migration, Thunderbird seemed to have hosed up a bunch of his emails and they are no longer on the server. Several thousand emails seem to be missing, and I'm trying to find a way to recover them.

We recently upgraded our system from Exchange 2003 on Server 2003 32bit to Exchange 2007 on Server 2008 64 bit.

I'm in the midst of finding the proper backup solution, so NTBackup (or Windows Server Backup as 2008 likes to call it) has not ran in quite some time.

It is my understanding that Exchange keeps full logs for activity so I hope that what I'm trying to do is possible. All of the instructions I've found show how to create a recovery storage group and recover a from a backup.... but I fear that if I were to create a backup now, that I would only be able to recover to today using that method.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Re: Revert user's mailbox to a few days ago

Google "replay exchange logs" to see how to do that... however I have m doubts whether or not you'll be able to get much back.

Take a full, tested backup before trying it.

Regarding your comment about NTBackup... you do know that isn't included with Windows Server 2008 don't you...
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll check into that route.

I was referring to NT Backup and Windows Server Backup just as one would refer to Outlook Express and Windows Mail- one replaces the other (although I guess my OP wording says different). On a related note, I was greeted today with the lovely reality that Windows Server Backup will not work on a volume greater than 2TB in size, this is awesome since our data store is on a volume just over 3TB in size.

I have to admit I'm still very new to Windows Server 2008 but am getting the hang of it quickly. Most of our other machines are Windows Server 2003.
      Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 29th June 2010, 20:02.

Comment

As gfi pointed out, you could try replaying message logs.
        You could try recovering from your backups (which you have problems with you mentioned - I'd put that VERY VERY high on my priority list of things to sort out)

You could also try, if you had previously set it up, going through the journal mailbox. THat's a long, ahrd slog though.

Unfortunately, the grim reality is likely to be, if the backups aren't working, it's going to be very long hard graft to attempt to restore the data...

If you do create a backup now, you will only be able to restore what's in that backup, and the backup will per force be missing those emails also.
        I'll be honest - I haven't done recovery storage groups and stuff. I'm hoping to cover it soon in some training material.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

It's the term "replay" that was missing from my search terms and it's led me on the right track I believe. I'll check into the mailbox journal as well, thanks.

It appears that this one issue may be resolved some cached pst files and an export from last month that might have all or most of the data we are after.

I'm focusing my efforts now on a backup solution that won't require me moving the mailbox store to a volume smaller than 2TB, which just seems silly.

Comment

Even if you did move the mailstore, Windows Server Backup still isn't Exchange-aware, so isn't suitable for backing up an Exchange server.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Are you sure the emails aren't in the dumpster -- if not in emptied deleted items, then inside another folder (there is a registry key you will need to set to look for them http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=47334)
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X