This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 to 2010 exchange migration

We have a Windows 2003 server running Exchange 2003. I'd like to move to a Windows 2008 R2 server running Exchange 2010. Has anyone had any experience with this particular configuration? Thanks

Re: 2003 to 2010 exchange migration

I guess a lot reading/writing here does have experiences with this, but what is your particular question?

To get a brief overview try reading technet or other sites.

Comment

I've had some experience with creating the design specification for an upgrade from 2k3 to 2010.

That included installing a complete test bed in a development environment and actually learning how to use the system.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thank you both for the reply, they are fair. I know there is a lot of resources available.

This is my current understanding of the process:

1) Windows 2003 server - Exchange 2003 (already exist in production)
        2) Deploy Windows 2008 R2 server
        3) Install Exchange 2010 on the 2008 R2 server
        4) Log into the old Exchange server and move all mailboxes to the new server.

That's it.

Questions:
        1) What else needs to be transferred before the old exchange server needs to be decommissioned?
        2) How does this affect all of the clients pointing to the old exchange server. Do I just updated the DNS records to point to the new servers IP?
        3) How do you go about decommissioning the old server?

Thanks again

Comment

have you had any luck reading about these questions on google at all ?

for instance, stuff like this:
          http://msexchangegeek.com/2010/01/30...exchange-2010/

or this:
          http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...b-f4ac380fb874

?
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I was looking for a high level over view of the steps, and if possible a link to a step by step guide. Most of the links just say it can be done or focus on one part of the transition. I did find a complete guide to the process of transition from Exchange 2003 to 2010 (you can tell I've done more research since my last post since I know to use the term transition instead of migration :P )

For anyone else looking for those steps check out Safari Books online. You can get a free 10 day trial. This will give you full access to: MS Exchange Server 2010 Unleashed - Chapter 16: Transitioning from Exchange Server 2003/2007 to Exchange Server 2010

Or you can buy the book

Both the book and tehcamel make a good point. "installing a complete test bed in a development environment and actually learning how to use the system."
            Last edited by wattsup; 29th June 2010, 22:44.

Comment

It will be worth googling exchange 2003 to 2007 transition. It will be a similar process to that.

With regards to clients re-mapping, as long as you carry out the transition in the correct way, after the mailboxes are moved to the new server, when a user logs on, they will automatically be re-mapped. This will only work whilst the Exchange 2003 server is still functioning.

Before fully removing Exchange 2003, power the server off for a week to ensure there are no issues.

What Office version are you using? We have one client with Office 2003 and Outlook 2003 seems to have some intermittent issues with Exchange 2010.
              Last edited by Virtual; 30th June 2010, 07:14. Reason: Spelling

Comment

We have user with Outlook 2003, 3007 and 2010 beta, a few Entourage users, and lots of iPhone Exchange ActiveSync users.

Comment

ok. I'll tell you how I'll help you in this scenario.

how about you go away, and have a think, and do some research.
                  THen come back, and post, for us, the sort of steps and processes you need to be undertaken.

I (and I'm sure others) will then evaluate, critique, suggest and feedback on your thoughts.

That way, we're not doing your work for you, but rather providing insight and collaborative feedback. You're still getting the help you're looking for, but you're initiating it rather than us.

See where I'm coming from ?

Comment

I was looking for step by step how to. I found it in the book I referenced and on this link that I'll provide, hopefully it will help someone else seeking the same thing:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/47632

The sequence for a migration from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 is as follows:
                    1. Bring the Exchange organization to Exchange Native Mode.
                    2. Upgrade all Exchange 2003 Servers to Exchange Server 2003 Service Pack 2.
                    3. Bring the AD forest and domains to Windows Server 2003 Functional (or higher) levels.
                    4. Upgrade at least one Global Catalog domain controller in each AD Site that will house Exchange Server to Windows Server 2003 SP2 or greater.
                    5. Prepare a Windows Server 2008 (RTM or R2) x64 edition server for the first Exchange 2010 server.
                    6. Install the AD LDIFDE tools on the new Exchange 2010 server (to upgrade the schema).
                    7. Install any necessary prerequisites (WWW for CAS server role).
                    8. Run setup on the Exchange 2010 server, upgrade the schema, and prepare the forest and domains. (Setup runs all in one step or separate at the command line.)
                    9. Install CAS server role servers and configure per 2010 design. Validate functionality.
                    10. Transfer OWA, ActiveSync, and Outlook Anywhere traffic to new CAS servers.
                    11. Install Hub Transport role and configure per 2010 design.
                    12. Transfer inbound and outbound mail traffic to the HT servers.
                    13. Install Mailbox servers and configure Databases (DAG if needed).
                    14. Create public folder replicas on Exchange 2010 servers using pfmigrate.wsf script, AddReplicatoPFRecursive.ps1,or Exchange 2010 Public Folder tool.
                    15. Move mailboxes to Exchange Server 2010 using Move Mailbox Wizard or Powershell.
                    16. Rehome the Offline Address Book (OAB) generation server to Exchange Server 2010.
                    17. Rehome Public Folder Hierarchy on new Exchange Server 2010 Admin Group.
                    18. Transfer all Public Folder Replicas to Exchange Server 2010 Public folder store(s).
                    19. Delete Public and Private Information Stores from Exchange 2003 server(s).
                    20. Delete Routing Group Connectors to Exchange Server 2003.
                    21. Delete Recipient Update Service agreements using ADSIEdit.
                    22. Uninstall all Exchange 2003 servers.

I'm not familiar with step 6, using AD LDIFDE to upgrade the schema or step 10, transferring OWA traffic.

Comment

for step 6, I'm not sure to be honest.

For step 10, I'm going to make some assumptions here.

I'm going to suppose that you have a public IP address of 209.85.227.89
                      I'm going to assume you have a public hostname of webmail.wattsup.com
                      I'm going to assume you have ports 25, 80 and 443 forwarded from your border router to your current Exchange 2003 server. (or an ISA server, but let's stay simple)

Redirecting the OWA traffic would be done by changing your router port forwarding entries, so instead of pointing to the Eschange2003 server, it points to the Exchange 2010 server.

if this was me, and in my environment, I'd probably make sure it worked first inside the network.
                      When we're playing with something as critical and crucial as email, you can't just go hammer and tongs at it. You need to have a test plan, isolate exactly what you need to do, and do it out of hours.

You need to have a rollback plan, so if it doesn't work, you can put it back the way it was.

Your steps seem pretty good though. I can't give you specifics on redirecting OWA, because I'm not sure how it's done specifically in your environment.

I would also consider doing things in a staged manner if possible.
                      IE, building and configuring the new server, moving over the mailboxes of a couple of IT Test bunnies.
                      Testing your OWA and OA settings out of hours, then rolling it back so things work as normal for during the day.

hows it sounding so far ?

Comment

If you have a single domain, the Exchange setup process should upgrade the schema for you.

Comment

I'm actually really waiting to see Sembee's take on these steps, because to my (admittedly relatively inexperienced) eyes it looks like maybe some things are out of order.

You've got what I would consider key go/no-go points in there, but unless you're doing it all on a weekend, and you can afford the downtime, may end up breaking current scenarios.

Ie, if you only have a single public facing IP address, the moment you move the OWA front end, it may have problems connecting to the mailboxes, as it expects it all to be on the old server..

Comment

Exchange 2010 doesn't proxy OWA, it only redirects. Therefore if you intend to have a period of dual existence you must have two external IP addresses, as you will have to run with two host names and two SSL certificates.

The point about Exchange 2010 doing everything for you from a prep point of view is correct. I have done an install just today and I simply run setup.exe and followed the prompts.

The major problem is OWA, everything else looks sound. On a single IP address I would be looking to big bang the move and take the hit. Easily done with the correct prep - I shall be doing one this weekend.

Simon.
                            --
                            Simon Butler
                            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                              Exchange 2010 doesn't proxy OWA, it only redirects. Therefore if you intend to have a period of dual existence you must have two external IP addresses, as you will have to run with two host names and two SSL certificates.

If you've got a reverse proxy like ISA or TMG then the one IP is fine.

Single certificate with multiple SAN's is also OK - just need to setup an additional host name (eg lagacy.domain.com) for the 2003 redirect.

Comment

Working...
                              X