Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: New PDC

Hello,

I'm looking for a bit of a walk through on "order of tasks" when changing a server.

We have an old Windows 2000 Server which is being removed.

We have a 2008 Server running Exchange 2007 (staying).

I am replacing the Windows 2000 Server with a new server, and software. As the current domain has a lot of legacy software, users, data - I am thinking of creating the new server (offline) and creating a new domain (to stop unwanted items being replicated).

I am unsure what to do with the current Exchange server, I am planning on creating all users from scratch and scripting the transfer of permissions once I've copied user data from the old server. The only thing I'm not sure on is how to re-connect users to their exchange mailboxes.

I welcome all advise & thank you for your time, help and efforts!

Andy

Re: How To: New PDC

Exchange is intimately tied to the domain so New Domain = New Exchange organisation.

Export user mailboxes as PSTs, flatten everything and start again
    Alternatively, use ADMT to migrate objects from the old to the new domain
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but ADMT doesn't support 2000 server?

I believe the exchange server is currently replicating AD (therefore I guess it's been promoted).

I was wanting a clean start in AD, lots and lots of junk user and the likes. Perhaps I should just promote the new server, demote the old & Tidy things up?

I believe I'll also need to upgrade the AD Schema on 2000 before I promote the 2008 server. Would this assist in leaving the link to mailboxes without additional work?

I'm not too keen on making changes to the Exchange server.

Regards,

Andy

Comment

Sorry, missed the "2000" bit

Are you wanting to create a new domain or fix your old one?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by andy_whitlock View Post
          I believe I'll also need to upgrade the AD Schema on 2000 before I promote the 2008 server.
          Yes, a schema update is necessary for both forest and domain.

Would this assist in leaving the link to mailboxes without additional work?

I'm not too keen on making changes to the Exchange server.
          Promoting a new 2008 domain controller into your existing environment, and cleaning up junky items, sounds like the best option for your scenario, as you don't want to have to mess with exchange too much.

Just clarify 100% whether the exchange server does have active directory installed on it also - if it does, the schema would have already been upgraded.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The exchange server does have AD on it.... yet when I look at the forrest operational level it says "Windows 2000 Native" - confused!

I've contacted the company that implemented the Exchange Server a year ago to find out what they have / haven't done.

Comment

In AD when i right click the domain and select "raise domain functional level" it states....

Current domain functional level: Windows 2000 native

You cannot raise the domain functional level because the domain includes Active Directory Domain Controllers that are not running the appropriate version of Windows.

I am guessing this is referring to the 2000 server we have in place, would running ADPrep resolve this? Shouldn't this have been done prior to implementing the existing Exchange Server (which is running 200? CONFUSED!

Comment

You will need to ADPREP for 2008, install 2008 DC(s) and decommission all older DCs before you can raise the levels
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

So if I adpred - introduce the new server and simply remove the old?

After transferring data & doing relevant AD changes.. then I should raise the functional levels?

Comment

you will also need to transfer the fsmo roles and the global catalog.
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Also, verify DNS and DHCP is also moved. You mentioned that the w2k8 box is already a DC, so you shouldn't need to ADPREP in the existing domain.
                      Last edited by Virtual; 23rd June 2010, 07:45.

Comment

I'm guessing the company who installed the existing 2008 server did the adprep. How can I check to see if FSMO / Global / DNS / DHCP has been transferred to the 2008 Server? I don't think they have, that's where the new server steps in!

Comment

Check whether the DHCP admin tool is present and review the server listed.

Look at the DNS Client PCs are pointing at and check the DNS admin tool.

FSMO role holders wise. Review this.

http://www.petri.com/determining_fsmo_role_holders.htm

To check for GC status, use AD sites and services.

Comment

If you have only 2 DCs, FSMOs will automatically transfer when you demote the first one

For DNS and DHCP, see Virtual's post above
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Working...
                            X