Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exch 2010 CAS Design\Placement

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what you have done with regards to CAS Placement in Exch 2010. Since client MAPI connections go via the CAS server and not direct to the IS, how have you implemented CAS for Internal Users but also publishing OWA externally?

Have you implemented an Internal CAS Array and then a seperate External CAS Array in your DMZ? How do you then stop clients trying to use the external CAS for MAPI?

Cheers
    Chris
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Re: Exch 2010 CAS Design\Placement

No server placement in DMZs with Exchange 2010 (except Edge server but thats another story), it's not supported. You have to configure some type of reverse proxy (ISA/TMG if you want to use Microsoft) to publish Exchange to the Internet.

CAS arrays are based on AD sites and have to be configured regarding the AD design, also the network components have to support CAS arrays. Microsoft talks about Internet facing and internal sites which have to be configured appropriate.

Comment

Agree with FischFra,

If you are having one CAS per site then I would suggest creating the array anyway .i.e. casarray.domain.local and in DNS point it back to the CAS server as in the event of a complete server failure you can just change the DNS record rather than having to change the CASserver of each DB via powershell command set-mailboxdatabase databasename -rpcclientaccessserver server.domain.local

Michael
      Last edited by m80arm; 4th June 2010, 15:28.
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

You will only need 1 CAS array. It is best to create this array using your external FQDN and setup DNS to resolve this name internally.

For external OWA/ Exchange anywhere connections publish the array using an ISA server. The ISA server would site in the DMZ.

This document presents a good read regarding the topic

http://www.msexchange.org/articles_t...010-part1.html

Regards,

Comment

On a side note MS are pushing for UAG (Unified Access Gateway) for external to internal and TMG (Threat Management Gateway) for internal to external
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie132 View Post
            It is best to create this array using your external FQDN and setup DNS to resolve this name internally.
            Could you please give a reason behind this advice? I never heard that bevor and I have no idea why I should use a external FQDN for my internal RPC client access.

Comment

Working...
            X