Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archiving Exchange 07 Journal Mailbox

Hi,

I have recently started using Exchange 07 in our organisation. I want to keep a copy of all mail sent and received by everyone in the company.

I have 4 storage groups, 1 created for the public folder database, and 3 for mailbox databases. I have created a journal mailbox in each mailbox database, and enabled a journal rule so all messages are journaled to the relevant journal mailbox.

I am aware that these journal mailboxes will become large very quickly, so I am looking for a way to archive the data so it can be preiodically removed from the journal mailbox and stored elsewhere, but in a way it could be accessed fairly quickly should the need arise.

Would this method work:
    When I want to archive, create a 5th storage group containing a new mailbox database.
    Copy the three journal mailboxes to the new mailbox database.
    Copy the newly created database.edb file to an archive location.
    Create new journal mailboxes in the other databases so the process can start again.
    If I need to access mail in an archived journal mailbox, import the database.edb file back into the 5th storage group.

Thanks

Nick

Re: Archiving Exchange 07 Journal Mailbox

Surely it would be simpler to move it to PST files, starting new ones each month or whatever period is appropriate?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Surely it would be simpler to move it to PST files, starting new ones each month or whatever period is appropriate?
      this is exactly what we did - it wsa part of our monthly maintenance, to archive all the mail from the journal from the previous month, burn to dvd and provide to the partners.
      about half an hour of actual active time,the work can be performd in the background, allowing you to double bill.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You can simplify things somewhat by having only one Journal Mailbox for all your storage groups and running the rule from the hub transport (instead of setting for each database) see article below, you could then export the one mailbox to pst (or use third party archive tool)

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ing-Rules.html

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I thought .pst files could become corrupt if they get too large, which is why I had originally ruled out that option. It would certainly be the simplest method, so I will give it a go andd see how I get on.

Thanks

Nick

Comment

Keep them small by archiving weekly / monthly (depending on data volumes) and make multiple copies
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X