Outlook 2007 and OOF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook 2007 and OOF

I have an issue with Out of Office not working in Outlook 2007 for some users. I have been researching this for more than a week now and cannot find the answer (at least I don't think I have found the answer). Here's the setup:

I have a main location and 3 remote locations. I will reference them as:
    Main Location
    Remote 1
    Remote 2
    Remote 3

-There is a VPN connection from all remote sites to the Main Location.
    -Remote 1 and Remote 2 are part of the same domain as the Main Location
    -Remote 3 is actually a different domain with a trust in place between it and the Main Location
    -The Main Location, Remote 1 and Remote 2 can all use the Out of Office Assistant in Outlook 2007 without issue. Remote 3 cannot use the Out of Office Assistant through Outlook 2007. I know it's an issue with autodiscover. I just can't figure out how to fix it.

Here is what I know...
    -When I run the Test Email Autoconfiguration from Main Location, Remote 1, or Remote 2, it uses https://servername.domain.local/auto...todiscover.xml
    -Everything works fine.
    -When I do the same test in Remote 3, it tries multiple ways to get to the autodiscover site and fails. The issue is it's trying to use the Outside domain name associated with the email address. So, for user [email protected], it uses https://webdomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml (among others) and fails.

Why is it using the webdomain instead of the internal domain? Is there a way to force it to use the internal domain? I have DNS setup as such that I can ping the Exchange server from Remote 3 by name and resolve correctly. I can open a web browser and browse to https://servername.domain.local/auto...todiscover.xml without an issue from Remote 3.

Any help would be appreciated. If you are needing more information, please let me know.

Thanks
    Mike

Re: Outlook 2007 and OOF

Is the Remote3 site a domain in the same Forest, or a different Forest?

Take a look here, which explains the relationship between the Availability Service and the Autodiscover Service, and also mentions how to handle cross-Forest (if that applies to you, per my question above).

http://www.exchangeninjas.com/AvailabilityServiceFAQ
    Blog: ExchangeServerPro.com
    Twitter: @ExchServPro

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It is a completely separate domain/forest than the Main Location. I have a two way trust between the two domains.

I will look over your link and let you know if it helps.

Thanks again.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Thanks for the reply. It is a completely separate domain/forest than the Main Location. I have a two way trust between the two domains.

I will look over your link and let you know if it helps.

Thanks again.

Mike
        Just a thought...

Can you add a forwarder for autodiscover on internal DNS server of Remote 3 site to Main Office and see if it helps?

Regards
        Jedi001
        Last edited by jedi001; 23rd April 2010, 11:37. Reason: spelling mistake
        Technical Director
        www.tecguruz.com
        Ex-Microsoft (Exchange Client & Server Infrastructure Team), MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS & ITIL Foundation certified

Comment

Thanks for the link Paul....LOVE IT! It explains a lot about how autodiscover works. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything that helped me directly...yet.

Jedi, I did some testing on the same order of what you mentioned. I am going to expand a little more on what I did and the setup.

The setup is 1 Exchange server at the Main Location. Remote 3 does not have an exchange server of any sort. The link above was showing things referencing multiple Exchange servers.

What I did do to test, was in the host file of the system I was testing on, I added the IP address of the Exchange server, and pointed it to autodiscover.webdomain.com. It worked, however, I got a cert error because I am still using the original self created cert that points to the servername.domain.local. So, it seems that I could add an entry in the Remote 3 DNS server, but I will need to purchase a multi-name cert.

Per Paul's link, I even tried changing the external URL to match the internal URL of the EWS site on the Exchange server. That didn't seem to help as Remote 3 must not be pulling that information from EWS.

Any more thoughts?

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X