No announcement yet.

Emails with Attachments Marked as Spam

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emails with Attachments Marked as Spam

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've been looking for days and can't find anything.

Here's the deal: we have a SBS 2008 box with Exchange 2007 SP1 as our email server. We're running into an issue where emails with attachments (particularly) PDFs are getting marked as spam and aren't going to the user. I've done some testing, and the exact same email body without attachment comes through fine. As soon as an attachment is added, the SCL jumps to an 8 or a 9 (from something like a 1).

The obvious answer would be to just lower the SCL threshold for blocking, but since these attachments cause an 8 or a 9, allowing something that high would just open the floodgates for spam. We have been dealing with the issue by whitelisting the domains (they are business partners, so I'm not worried about massive spam from them), but this is problematic because

1. The users have to have the issue before we can fix it
    2. We'll eventually run out of whitelist space

Also, this all started when we installed SP1. Prior to that we never had these issues.

So here's my question to you wonderful people: Is there any way to make Exchange 2007 less sensitive about attachments when determining SCL?

Any help you can provide is GREATLY appreciated!

Re: Emails with Attachments Marked as Spam

It has to be more than just the attachments to make the score go that much higher.

Either way, there is very little that can be done about the scoring. It either works or it doesn't.
    If you are finding that it is flagging legitimate email as spam then you will have to look for an alternative product. No antispam tool is 100% effective.

As an aside, PDFs are now the most dangerous file format on the Internet, responsible for more infections than Word.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Emails with Attachments Marked as Spam

Hmm, bummer sauce. I guess we'll just have to do with whitelisting for now then. Thanks for the insight!