Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

I have been struggling with how to convert a single user mailbox into a distribution list to add various user mailboxes to this list. I also do not want to delete that user mailbox to start a new distribution list again. Cant seem to find anyway to convert a mailbox into a distribution list or group.

- I am using both Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2003 servers; and I can seem to find any solutions to this..

Re: Help on how to convert a user mailbox to a distribution list

Converting a mailbox into a distribution group? Never heard of doing such a thing. Do you mean that you want to have a distribution list that has the same email address as the mailbox?

Comment

Actually I have a particular user account mailbox which I now want to convert it into a distribution group using that particular name; I want mails coming in for that particular user account to be sent to other accounts now. and I still want to retain the mails in that particular user account.

Comment

You will need to remove the email address from the account and then add it to the group
        If you add an alternative address to the account you will still be able to access the emails
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If I understood right; you mean if I had for example a user mailbox named :- [email protected] and now I want other users to receive mails for this mailbox, I should delete the [email protected] email attribute and then add this user with a new email account [email protected] to the distribution group I created with the new name [email protected]. Does it mean the new distribution group would still populate the old mails of [email protected]?.. thank you

Comment

No, the mails would stay in the old mailbox -- a distribution group does not store messages anywhere
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X