No announcement yet.

Installing Exchange 2007... global catalog

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Exchange 2007... global catalog

Please understand I am learning to install Exchange 2007. I have setup a Lab environment with all trail versions of Microsoft products with current updates.
    The lab consists of 64bit bit applications and they are the following:
    Domain controller 2008R2 with HyperV.
    Server 2008R2 installed in a VM... HyperV.
    Server 2003R2 installed in a VM... Vmware Workstation 7
    I wanted to setup Exchange 2007 on either of the servers.
    I have ran best practices analyzer complety and successfully without any errors on both servers.
    I ran forestprep and domainprep with no errors
    My domain functional level is set for 2008… it was set to 2003, I raised to 2008, thinking that could be it, but still the same error.
    My DNS settings resolve properly
    My Fsmo roles are on the Server 2008R2 DC, I checked AD sites and services I have the global catalog is checked
    I can install Exchange on either server 2003R2 or server 2008R2. On both server when I run the readiness check I get the following errors… Hub transport roll prerequisites, client access roll prerequisites and mail box roll prerequisites.
    Cannot find at least one global catalog server running Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 or later in the local Active Directory site. Recommended Action:
    I have gone to the link provided, but I could not resolve it.
    I would appreciate any help, suggestions or workaround

Re: Installing Exchange 2007... global catalog

AFAIK there are issues with Exchange 2007 and Server 2008 R2

From the above, you cannot install on R2 and to install with R2 DCs you need to be at a certain Roll Up level

I suggest you get the SP2 install media and try that
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Short answer is that you cannot install Exchange 2007 on either of those servers until the middle of the year.
      As of the time of writing Exchange 2007 cannot be installed on Windows 2008 R2. This will change when Exchange 2007 SP3 is released later in the year.

Therefore you have three options.

1. Wait.
      2. Install Exchange 2010.
      3. Rebuild one of the two machines to Windows 2008 SP2 and install on to that.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thank you guys, this was a great learning experience.

I will try Ossian suggestion if not; I will wait till Exchange 07 sp3 comes out. Thanks again. Sam

This issue is now resolved.
          I installed server 2003 R2 as a secondary domain controller, with global catalog service running.

Installed Exchange 2007 and SP1 without any errors.
          Thanks everyone