No announcement yet.

Migrating users from parent domain to child

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating users from parent domain to child

I plan to move users from a parent domain which uses Exchange 2003 to a new child domain using Ex2007. On my pilot user I backed up the mailbox to PST and removed exchange attributes. Created user on Ex2007 using same email address etc and move across data and imported mailbox from PST. All is OK appart from now some users on the parent domain cannot email pilot user on child domain. Can send OK, receive OK from external source, OWA can resolve user from GAL OK. I have tried deleting N2k file, tried rebuilding GAL and re-download GAL.

Why is my oulook clients on the parent domain unable to resolve user?

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
    Sent: 24/03/2010 12:16

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Pilot User on 24/03/2010 12:16
    The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
    < #5.1.1>

Re: Migrating users from parent domain to child

I found out how to resolve this but it's not really the fix I was hoping for. I have to recreate the outlook profile. Why should I have to do this?

Assuming that you make this move within the same Active Directory so that Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2007 are part of the same Exchange organization, your migration way doesn't make sense to me.

For the way you do it now it is complete ok that you get exact what your are describing, since you are deleting the mailbox and built it from scratch.

It is basicly a new mailbox so the profile have to be recreated and for the NDR while sending to this NEW mailboxes I guess they are trying to answer to an old mail or something like this. Since it's a new mailbox they also have a new legacyExchangeDN, if you don't add this old legacyExchangeDN as X.500 address to the new mailboxes answers and so on will not work with the described error.

Why not just using a tool like ADMT to migrate the users first into the sub domain and move the mailbox then from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007? Or if you don't want to migrate the users, just delete the user in the parent domain, create a new one in the sub domain, connect this user to his mailbox and move then to Exchange 2007.
      Or at least add the old legacyExchangeDN as a X.500 address to the new user.

The problem appears to be offline address book related. If I open Outlook in non-cached mode it's OK. Seems like the Exchange 2007 is not updating the OAB on the 2003 box properly. The 2003 box generates the OAB.

Any ideas?

Exchange 2007 does nothing to update a OAB which is created and managed by Exchange 2003, Active Directory is the source.

So it could be that you have problems with AD replication between the domains or problems with the OAB generating process on the E2003 box. Are there any OAB related errors at the E2003 box?

You might also consider to move the OAB generating process to E2007 or to create a new OAB on E2007 for E2007 users only.

The Offline Address Book is delivered from the Public Folders.
            If you haven't replicated the system folders from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007, then updates to the OAB are not downloaded from the server and the clients will be stuck with what they have.

Therefore I would check that you are replicating the content correctly, that should have been done before the users were migrated.

Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
            Exchange Resources List:
            In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.