Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2007 clustering deployment in different geographic location

Hi All,

I have one box of Windows Server 2003 isntalled with Excahgne Server 2007 SP1 (HT-CAS-MBx role) in my head quarter, suppose I want to create another Exchange server 2007 box in the remote office (geographically different connected with 1 MB WAN link),

which topology should I use so that in case one Exchange Server 2007 got died because of the Windows Update or server break down, my company can still send and receive email without interruption.

Any idea would be greatly appreciated.
    VMware implementation can also be take into account if possible.

Thanks

Re: Exchange Server 2007 clustering deployment in different geographic location

Using what you have, the only solution is something like DoubleTake or Neverfail. You could also look at the VMWARE replication technology, which is application independent.

To deploy a native high availability solution will require additional hardware - new mailbox server in both locations, new CAS and Hub transport in the second location. You cannot retro fit clustering of any description to Exchange.

Given that you will have to purchase Windows Enterprise and new Exchange licences, another option would be to move to Exchange 2010 and the DAG.

However the simple rule is that the longer you can be down, the cheaper it is. Live failover is not cheap, either in software, hardware or bandwidth.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
      Using what you have, the only solution is something like DoubleTake or Neverfail. You could also look at the VMWARE replication technology, which is application independent.

To deploy a native high availability solution will require additional hardware - new mailbox server in both locations, new CAS and Hub transport in the second location. You cannot retro fit clustering of any description to Exchange.

Given that you will have to purchase Windows Enterprise and new Exchange licences, another option would be to move to Exchange 2010 and the DAG.

However the simple rule is that the longer you can be down, the cheaper it is. Live failover is not cheap, either in software, hardware or bandwidth.

Simon.
      Hm.. the Excahnge Server 2010 with its Database Avail. Group is looks great.

I can afford the downtime for switching the DNS name and then mark one of the server as active from EMC so few hours is OK but not one day to restore from Backup Exec image.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post

Simon.
        You're right mate,

It is better off for me to implement the E 2010 with the DAG feature since my current vsphere license does not allows for FT, so in this case what i can think is now to plan for creating single server (VM) deployment of (HT-CAS-MBx) then make it HA enabled as 2 hours max. downtime is still acceptable in the SLA.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
        X