Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prompt User Before Sending to Outside Recipient

Hello,

In the past we've had employees inadvertently send sensitive messages to people or the wrong people outside our organization. I'm interested in a way to prevent this from happening in the future. Something that basically asks the sender for confirmation before an email is sent if the recipients email address is external to the organization would be ideal.

I cannot find a way to do this type of thing with the Outlook/Hub Transport rules available in 2007 or 2010. I've been told that certain DLP products that companies like Symantec and CA offer has this functionality but they're quite expensive and can be difficult to deploy.

Is there a way to accomplish my objective that is both easy to deploy and cost effective?

Thank you.

Re: Prompt User Before Sending to Outside Recipient

Periodically send out an inter-office email to all employees that says "Check your blinkin' To: field, people!"

Seriously, methinks, as you have found out due to the price of DLP solutions, this is a problem best solved the soft way. Technology can only go so far, but in the end, we all still have to remember to brush our teeth at night.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Nonapeptide is right, although as this would be a nice script excercise , I think I came across one . But it was a server side script , meaning that there would not be a dialog and input box as such to re-confirm the "send" button.
      What I tend to make work for me is alert the dept heads of the fact , without giving names ("in the past we ve encountered that sensitive info has been accidentally ...blah blah") , asking them to use caution on the recipients. In some cases this did work and never had a problem since. Other times we could not past the bofh hurdle. So we used "alternate" methods.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Do you think this could be scripted on the client side or use a Comm Add-in and push them out via GPO?

Comment

This is not a technical problem, this is a behavioural problem. You will not find a technical solution to this.

If people are sending out sensitive information in error, then they need to be trained to operate their computers correctly, or fired. And the entire company needs to know why.
          HR need to deal with this, not the IT department.

This is like asking the council to put a barrier around a tree as I keep backing my car in to it, simply because I didn't read the instructions for my car and failed to set my mirrors correctly.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

lol

I know you are right but since the boss asked I had to at least look into it a bit.

Thanks for the reply.

/Polycarp

Comment

Originally posted by polycarp View Post
              lol

I know you are right but since the boss asked I had to at least look into it a bit.

Thanks for the reply.

/Polycarp

Hi ,

There are two opinions you can do, first do Journaling or you can create a transport rule to send a copy of each message sent out of the org to a journal mailbox. You can check who is sending sensitive information and deal with them.

Second one is block specific users to send email out to internet the same can be achieved thru transport rule.
              Thanks & Regards
              v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
              Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
              Independent IT Consultant and Architect
              Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thanks Navdeep for your post.

However, as the subject of this thread suggests I am only interested in a means to prevent emails from being sent so your first suggestion doesn't apply. Secondly, I don't want to deny the ability for users to send to external recipients but rather to force them to double check who the recipients are.

Thanks again for the post.

Comment

There are commercial solutions available that can do this:
                  - Safeguard Send
                  - SafeSend

Comment

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman.... That must be the oldest yet!
                    Dingoshark, I suspect that in the last 5 years, the OP might have found a solution to the problem, but you never know...

Just to add more (probably useless) content, there are also (in Exchange 2010 and above), MailTips which can be used to provide user alerts in the right client (Outlook 2010/13 and OWA IIRC) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ex...2010+mail+tips
                    Last edited by Ossian; 31st May 2015, 07:20.
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X