Using Exchange 2003 as a failover with Exchange 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Exchange 2003 as a failover with Exchange 2010

We are planning to move onto exchange 2010 from exchange 2003.

But also want to use the exchange 2003 as a failover. I want to know that whether it is possible to use exchange 2003 as a failover for exchange 2010.

Also both servers will be connected using VPN. Therefore is it possible to force the replication/synchronization to take place at some specific time i.e. using proper schedule.

for you info. both the machines will store the data on their local HDD,s i.e. not on a shared storage.

with regards,

Re: Using Exchange 2003 as a failover with Exchange 2010

Exchange 2003 doesn't have any capability to perform any type of replication, synchronization, or failover.

Comment

thanks for the reply.

but i have read from the technet site that exchnage 2003 can coexist with exchange 2010.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us-l.../aa998604.aspx

with regards,

Comment

Coexist means part of the same organisation, with some mailboxes on 2003 and some on 2010

You want something very different -- a duplicate of your data on both servers so that if one fails, the other takes over
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The only failover options that existed with Exchange 2003 were clustering. This sits on top of the Windows Clustering Service, so requires machines with shared storage and in the same subnet, neither of which you have.

Even leaving that aside, all replication options that exist within Exchange 2010 are not backwardly compatible with Exchange 2003. This article from MSExchange.org is well worth a read on the high availability features in Exchange 2010, it's much simpler to understand than the Technet articles which had me bleeding out of my eyes.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X