No announcement yet.

Create Server 2008 and Exchange Questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Create Server 2008 and Exchange Questions

We will replace NT network w/ Server 2008 and plan to re-join all wks (only 60 wks) to new server 2008 domain instead of migrate NT Server. Also plan to switch to Exchange Server to replace current non-Exchange Email system.

1. Purchase Server 2008 standard 64bit w/ 4G Ram Server box. Logon clients are around 60 wks but email addresses on Exchange will have 250 accounts including sub-companies. Is 4G Ram enough?
    2. I've no experience on Server 2008 but have Server 2003 experience. Is it easy to handle for Server 2008? coz don't want to let Outsider to install it
    3. For Exchange part, any special setting on initial setup on Server 2008 to be compatible with Exchange Server later?
    4. Since Exchange needs AD environment, our sub-company (another email domain name) also uses our Email system. How can we let them to manage their email account indepedently? I mean they can create / delete email boxes etc.

Re: Create Server 2008 and Exchange Questions

1) IMHO 4 GB is NOT enough -- 8 min, more better -- but also see 3 below
    2) Server 2008 has a lot of extras 2003 does not have. You are probably best to get some training plus an evaluation copy (Virtual?) to play with
    3) Although possible, it is better NOT to have Exchange on the same box as the Domain controller. Consider a powerful host machine running 2008 Enterprise with multiple virtual machines for the DC, Exchange etc
    4) Some permissions can be delegated in AD, but less so in Exchange
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

If you have no experience with either Windows 2008 or Exchange 2007 then I would strongly suggest a consultant is brought in. Would you try and do your own taxes? Many people do, and then get in to a mess.
      If you bring a consultant in then you will almost certainly learn a great deal about the product. For most companies email is their most critical application, therefore trying to learn on the fly is not really a good idea.

I spend most of my time cleaning up implementations of Exchange that people have tried to do themselves and it isn't pretty. Most of the time I end up having to rebuild the server, and it costs the client a lot more than it would if I was brought in at the start.

Exchange 2007 is quite complex to setup, but once running is easy enough to administrate.
      For 250 users you should have at least two domain controllers with Exchange on a dedicated server. That can be either a physical or virtual machine. A single machine will just wheeze and from a DR point of view you are looking at single point of failure.
      Number of workstations is immaterial, it is the number of current users that is key.

As already pointed out, 4gb of RAM is the minimum, and then I would only do that with Windows 2003. On Windows 2008 (not Windows 2008 R2 as that is not supported at the time of writing) you need to have 8gb of RAM.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Understand and thanks for your advice. Actually, we plan to setup new AD ourselves and then let the consultant to setup Exchange because we know Exchange setup is complex.

W currently have a server 2003 member server and plan to reinstall it as a 2nd Server 2008 after setup Server 2008 AD network. Then will purchase 2 additional servers for running Exchange (advised by the consultant). Exchange setup will be handled by consultants.