Outlook XP doesn't see new Exchange 2007 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook XP doesn't see new Exchange 2007 Server

I brought up a 2007 Exchange box and am attempting to migrate users from Exchange 2000 running Office Outlook XP to the new server. The mailbox migration goes fine with no errors, however when users log back in and attempt to connect to the server they get the error message:

"Outlook could not log in. Check to make sure you are connected to teh network and are using the proper server and mailbox name. Network problems are preventing connecti0on to the MS Exchange Server computer. Contact your system admin...."

So far, I have uninstalled Outlook XP and reinstalled it, a few reboots, removed TCP/IP and reinstalled it, set the primary/secondary DNS servers to the new servers in the environment.

I can ping the new server, if I install office 2003 I can configure the email box no problem.

Has anyone dealt with this before, or have any ideas??

Thank you.

Re: Outlook XP doesn't see new Exchange 2007 Server

It doesn't appear that this article applies to your situation if you're able to connect Outlook 2003 to Exchange 2007, but it's worth a look.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555851

Comment

joeqwerty,

Thank you for the response... any other ideas?

plan9

Comment

couple of other things that I have tried were to make sure the firewall was off (or to be exact, I added outlook to the exceptions list) and installed all available office 2002 updates.

still nothing...

Comment

The FIX:

It doesn't seem to eloquent, but the fix was to add the new Exchange server to the host file. Once I did that, it fired right up.

So it was a networking issue, obviously, and my guess is that it could not resolve the server without that addition to the host file. What I don't get is why then did it not work when I entered the IP address instead of the server during Outlook 2002 (XP) configuration??

If anyone has thought/ideas that could explain this, I would appreciate the opportunity to expand my understanding...

Thank you,

Comment

Outlook XP is a realy old client and from the time where NetBIOS resolution have to work in order to make Outlook working.

If you have more then one IP subnet and such old systems running it's the best to also run old services like WINS.

Comment

Working...
            X