No announcement yet.

Changing Domain on Server Configuration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Domain on Server Configuration

I used Daniel Petri's great article titled "Rename Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers" to rename my 2008 domain controller. Worked like a charm. After that, following a blog by Clay on titled "Server 2008 Domain Rename" I renamed the server domain as well. This also worked fine.

On this particular server, I'm running Exchange 2007. After the domain change, I have a problem on the Exchange Management Console. Although the new domain registers fine in the MS Exchange organization configuration, the Server Configuration still shows the old domain.

When I select the Server Configuration, I get an error saying that the "task was not able to connect to IIS on the server <old server name>". I tried modifying the Configuration Domain Controller to the new domain but that doesn't fix the problem.

Is there a way to change the domain on the Exchange Server? I want to try to avoid reinstalling Exchange 2007.

Last edited by jogras; 14th January 2010, 05:31. Reason: More descriptive Title

Re: Changing Domain on Server Configuration

As far as I know renaming a domain with Exchange 2007 installed isn't supported by Microsoft and there must be a reason for this.

So Exchange 2007 have to be uninstalled bevor renaming the domain, but now it's to late.
    I would bet that trying to remove Exchange 2007 via setup now will get you nowhere and removing an Exchange 2007 organization manually isn't supported as well.

Your best hope is a good backup of the domain controller(-s) bevor the rename.