No announcement yet.

Exchange Server Decommision

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server Decommision

I recently migrated our exchange server from 2003 to 2007. I am on the final stages of decommissioning the old exchange 2003 server. On the microsoft TechNet site, there is a step that saids the following:
    • Delete the routing group connectors that connect the Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 routing groups and the Exchange 2007 routing group. You can do this from Exchange 2003 or Exchange 2000 System Manager, or you can use the Remove-RoutingGroupConnector cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell.
    When I delete the routing group connector under the "Exchange Administrative Group" in 2003, it also removes the Hub Transport "send connector" on my Exchange 2007. Which stops all outbound mail.

If I re-create the "Send Connector" on my exchange 2007 server to get outbound mail working again, it then also creates a routing group connector back on my exchange 2003 server.

Is this normal? What am I missing? I just want to move on and un-install exchange 2003.

Re: Exchange Server Decommision

The connectors you are referring to are two different things.

You should be able to remove the routing group connector without it touching the Send Connectors.

However if you have an SMTP Connector in Exchange 2003 then it will be seen as a Send Connector by Exchange 2007. Therefore check in ESM on Exchange 2003 that there are no SMTP connectors in place. If so, remove them.

You should then be able to remove the RGCs.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.