Exchange server still acts authoritative for removed accepted domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange server still acts authoritative for removed accepted domain

Hello, I'm having a problem with Exchange 2007 after removing an accepted domain. Here's the scenario:
    The Exchange server was accepting mail for the domain, but we've decided to move the domain to google apps. The move was successful, and mail sent from public sources successfully goes to the google apps mailboxes, however mail sent internally from other domains on our Exchange server results in a bounce message:
    The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system.

So it looks like Exchange still thinks it's authoritative for this domain even though it's been removed from the system.
    I've tried adding the domain as an internal relay with a send connector to google, but received the same bounce message when sending from internal addresses.
    Any ideas?

Re: Exchange server still acts authoritative for removed accepted domain

If you're using googleapps, why not just remove exchange.. ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Removing the domain as an Accepted Domain should be the right action here.

When you remove the domain can you confirm that Exchange has indeed removed it successfully. You can test this by using the Exchange command:

Get-AcceptedDomain

If it is not there, can you try using telnet, and attempt to send an email to an existing user account for one of your other domains, but use the removed domain extension. ie: username at removeddomain.com

See if you get a 5.7.1 or a 250 response code. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

Shaun

Comment

@Shaun
        Thank you for the reply. Get-AcceptedDomain shows only the domains I still handle mail for, not the one in question. When I telnet and send mail to my account using the removed domain I get a 250 2.6.0 Message queued for delivery in the telnet session, but then I get a bounce message to my exchange box, The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system, same as before.

@ tehcamel
        I've got 14 domains I still have going through exchange, I've only moved one off to google apps. The remaining 14 domains can't send mail to the one I've moved as the exchange server still thinks it should be routing mail for the removed domain internally.

Comment

Do you have any third party software involved here, any anti spam / anti virus being used? If so, can you check you don't have 'Accepted Domains' or 'my domains' or something similar still listing your old domains.

You shouldn't need any seperate send connector, or internal relay domain for the domain in question so remove anything you have setup here.

Shaun

Comment

Do the user properties still show that email domain as a valid address for them? I've seen in the past (admittedly with Exchange 2003) where if you add a domain Recipient Policies will add the domain to the user properties, but removing a domain requires a manual removal of the address otherwise Exchange still tries to resolve the address internally, which promptly generates an NDR.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I removed the domain from the email address policy, and manually removed all aliases using the removed domain from all mail-enabled objects.

I've removed the send connector and relay domain for the problem domain. We have a MailFoundry appliance for spam filtering, but I've successfully sent mail through the device using the command line.

It looks like it's just trying to internally resolve addresses for that domain, even though I've removed all references to the domain that I know of or can find. Any other suggestions are welcomed

And thank you for your help so far.

Comment

Anything useful in message tracking? What about DNS, do your servers resolve the MX record correctly to Google rather than your own servers?
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Message tracking just shows a Receive then a Fail on Routing, it's trying to route to the exchange server internally. nslookup on the exchange server resolves the correct MX records for the domain.
                  That's what's confusing me, the server itself knows that mail for that domain should be handled by google, but Exchange must not have gotten the memo.

Comment

The memo is by Exchange not being authoritative for the domain. That should be looked after by removing the domain.

Can you run from Toolbox --> Exchange Best Practices Analyser --> Health Check. Any issues found here?

Anything in the event log?

Have you restarted the server after all these changes?

Shaun

Comment

So I found the issue to be a collection of problems. After removing every alias from every account and every reference I could find to the domain and restarting the server the issue changed to not being able to resolve the destination server for the domain. That seemed to me to be a DNS issue, but the Exchange server was resolving the correct MX records for the indicated domain. I decided to change the MX records to make sure DNS was in fact resolving correctly and found that it wasn't updating. It turns out that the Primary DNS server (a Win2008 server) had IPv6 enabled, while the other servers did not, and it was using localhost for DNS in the IPv6 settings, which should work. However, when I turned off IPv6 on the Primary server and the IPv4 settings took effect DNS started resolving correctly and mail started flowing. Not really sure why, but it worked.
                      I'm just posting this to say thank you to all who helped me work through it, and maybe give some ideas to anybody who has this problem in the future.

Comment

Thanks for posting back and letting us know. I've seen a few weird IPv6/DNS issues and have always tried to work around them as it seemd to be a recommendation not to disable IPv6 on Exchange 2007 servers.
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                          I've seen a few weird IPv6/DNS issues and have always tried to work around them as it seemd to be a recommendation not to disable IPv6 on Exchange 2007 servers.
                          I was leary of disabling IPv6 on the Exchange server a few months ago, but ended up having to disable it for our backup software to work correctly. The joy of Windows systems, all these weird problems.

Comment

Working...
                          X