Problem Installing Exchange 2007 SP2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Installing Exchange 2007 SP2

Tryed to install SP2 (no SP1 installed) but setup stops with error:
    Unified Messaging Server Role
    Unable to remove product with code 84a6e864-10a5-47c0-ac31-426fe71e4906. Fatal error during
    installation. Error code is 1603. Last error reported by the .msi package is 'There is a problem with
    this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
    Contact your support personnel or package vendor. '.
    Fatal error during installation
    Elapsed Time: 00:03:00

Found "'84a6e864-10a5-47c0-ac31-426fe71e4906" in registry and seemed to be connected with Microsoft Exchange Speech Engine. I tryed to uninstall Unified Messaging Server Role (I don't use it), so setup could continue, but uninstallation also ended with error:

Unified Messaging Server Role
    Setup previously failed while performing the action "BuildToBuildUpgrade". You cannot resume setup by performing the action "Uninstall".

So I cannot install SP2 becouse some problems with Unified Messaging Server Role, but I cannot uninstall this Role either.

Stuck here now and no way out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sembee; 14th December 2009, 08:21.

Re: Problem Installing Exchange 2007 SP2

The first thing you should do is read the sticky thread at the top of every forum, particularly the bit about NOT HIJACKING THREADS.

I have moved your question to its own thread because it is completely unrelated to the original question.

As for your own question, it looks like you have a bad set of SP2 files. I suggest that you download it fresh and then run SP2 setup again. You are now stuck in the middle between not having SP2 installed and doing so, and the only way out is to complete the installation of SP2. You can then use the SP2 download files to remove the UM role - as the SP2 files are a complete installation set.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

I have the EXACT same issue. Any solution to this.
      We need to get SP2 installed to migrate to 2010.

And did you read the post above, both about hijacking and with an immedate attempt at a solution (re-download SP2)?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

redownloading the SP doesn´t solve anything. Did try it though.
          The SP is a exe file that extracts and verifies. I have called MS and opened a case, hopefully they will come up with a resolution.