Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 CAS with 2003 back end

Good Morning All,

We are currently migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 and as a first step we're rolling out a CAS server on Server 2008

Everything has been installed, but we appear to have an issue

If we go to http://CAS/Exchange, which directs us to the Exchange 2003 mailboxes, and use the OWA Light access client, it appears to work

If we go to http://CAS/Exchange, which directs us to the Exchange 2003 mailboxes, and use the full OWA client, we end up with a Loading message where the Messages should be

I've tried changing security on the CAS server, as per MS bulletin 280823, however, I'm wondering if I'm changing the correct thing. In the bulletin it states "...basic authentication has been configured on the /exchange, /public, and /exchweb virtual directories in IIS on the Client Access Server. "

However, I can't modify these directories via IIS on the CAS server, as anytime I try it I recieve an error

“Windows cannot find ‘MBX’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.”

When I click OK, I get:

“The system cannot find the file specified”

Is this actually referring to the Outlook Web Access module, within Client Access in the Exchange Management Console, as I've changed permissions there without any luck

Can anyone advise:

Does the MBX error mean that there is an issue between the two servers?

CAS runs .net 2.0 and the Back end is running on .net 1.1. Should these both be running .net v2.0?

TIA
    Mj

Re: Exchange 2007 CAS with 2003 back end

Originally posted by emjay653 View Post
    Good Morning All,

We are currently migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 and as a first step we're rolling out a CAS server on Server 2008

Everything has been installed, but we appear to have an issue

If we go to http://CAS/Exchange, which directs us to the Exchange 2003 mailboxes, and use the OWA Light access client, it appears to work

Both URL's are same, could you please provide the other URL which gives you loading error?

If we go to http://CAS/Exchange, which directs us to the Exchange 2003 mailboxes, and use the full OWA client, we end up with a Loading message where the Messages should be

I've tried changing security on the CAS server, as per MS bulletin 280823, however, I'm wondering if I'm changing the correct thing. In the bulletin it states "...basic authentication has been configured on the /exchange, /public, and /exchweb virtual directories in IIS on the Client Access Server. "

However, I can't modify these directories via IIS on the CAS server, as anytime I try it I recieve an error

“Windows cannot find ‘MBX’. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.”

When I click OK, I get:

“The system cannot find the file specified”

Is this actually referring to the Outlook Web Access module, within Client Access in the Exchange Management Console, as I've changed permissions there without any luck

Can anyone advise:

Does the MBX error mean that there is an issue between the two servers?

CAS runs .net 2.0 and the Back end is running on .net 1.1. Should these both be running .net v2.0?

TIA
    Mj
    Questions for you:

Is exchange 2003 server the Only server in the environment? Whats SP level on it? Do you have E2K3 front end server in the environment also? Whats build and version? Have you tried recreating all legacy virtual directorys using Exchange Management Shell on CAS?

And to change the permission on ExAdmin/Exchange/Exchweb/Public virtual directories you have to use Exchange Management Console-->Server COnfig-->Mailbox-->WebDav

Have you check IIS logs on CAS & BackEnd Server?

Board members please do correct me if I am wrong in any of my above statements...

Cheers
    Jedi001
    MCSA/MCSE/MCITP/MCTS/ITIL/ACE
    Last edited by jedi001; 4th December 2009, 14:48.
    Technical Director
    www.tecguruz.com
    Ex-Microsoft (Exchange Client & Server Infrastructure Team), MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS & ITIL Foundation certified

Comment

Thx Jedi001,

In answer to your questions:

We currently have 3 working Exchange 2003 servers. Two are back end and one is a front end. All have SP2 installed. We also have 1 Exchange 2007 server, which is the problematic one.

I've not tried re-creating any of the virtual directories

I can't get into WebDAV. It reports that there are no Exchange Servers with the Mailbox server role installed.

I've checked the logs and can't see anything

I've noticed that SP2 is available for Exchange 2007, so I'm currently downloading that. Is it worth installing this?

TIA
      Mj

Comment

Thx Jedi001,

In answer to your questions:

We currently have 3 working Exchange 2003 servers. Two are back end and one is a front end. All have SP2 installed. We also have 1 Exchange 2007 server, which is the problematic one.

I've not tried re-creating any of the virtual directories

I can't get into WebDAV. It reports that there are no Exchange Servers with the Mailbox server role installed. - Apologies on this one..my silly thought process...

I've checked the logs and can't see anything

I've noticed that SP2 is available for Exchange 2007, so I'm currently downloading that. Is it worth installing this?

TIA
        Mj
        Could you please check this for me..

On CAS server, open IE and try http://E2K3_Server_Name/Exchange and give us the output...

Just to give you heads up...in a mixed environment, wherein you have CAS as front end + E2K3 backend....OWA works the same way as it used in E2k3 environment...so that means CAS server will act as a normal E2K3 Front End server (using Exprox.dll as you have only CAS role installed). I would advice you to recreate virtual directories on the E2K3 backend server..http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883380/en-us.

Cheers
        Jedi001
        Last edited by jedi001; 4th December 2009, 16:34.
        Technical Director
        www.tecguruz.com
        Ex-Microsoft (Exchange Client & Server Infrastructure Team), MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCTS & ITIL Foundation certified

Comment

On CAS server, open IE and try http://E2K3_Server_Name/Exchange and give us the output...
          When doing that, I receive a login prompt.

When I login, I see the same OWA page with the Loading message as before

TIA
          Mj

Comment

When doing that, I receive a login prompt.

When I login, I see the same OWA page with the Loading message as before

TIA
            Mj
            Do this for me...http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883380/en-us. I normally use the METHOD 2

Note: Be carefull while doing the steps...take a backup of default web site on backend server before you start recreating the vdir's

Could you please tell me what virtual directories you have got under Exchweb folder in IIS of the Backend server? And also the build and version of E2K3 BE server?

Cheers
            jedi001
            Technical Director
            www.tecguruz.com

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't modify the virtual sites on the Back end server, as our 2003 FE server works perfectly well and is in use

Under ExchWeb on the backend server we have:

Bin
              controls
              help
              img
              themes
              views

The server is Windows 2003 standard edition with SP2 installed

Thx
              Mj

Comment

I've installed update rollup 9 to the CAS server.

When I run a test connection, I receive the following error:

"...verify that <domain>\<computer_name>$ has Read access to the physical path"

What physical path is it referring to? Is it one on the Back End 2003 server, or one on the 2008 CAS server?

EDIT: I've changed the OWA App Pool to use the domain admin account and when I test this I receive the following:

"The path does not exist or environment variables in the path could not be expanded to verify whether it exists."

TIA
                Mj
                Last edited by emjay653; 8th December 2009, 11:37.

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately, I can't modify the virtual sites on the Back end server, as our 2003 FE server works perfectly well and is in use

Under ExchWeb on the backend server we have:

Bin
                  controls
                  help
                  img
                  themes
                  views

The server is Windows 2003 standard edition with SP2 installed

Thx
                  Mj
                  Ok then check this for me please:

On Front End 2k3 server check EXCHWEB vdir and compare it with the backend server? Do you see any vdir missing? If yes then check this kb article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910119/en-us , I understand that this kb article talks about FE server not having the correct updates, though my point most of the time we do not install SP1 first and we install the SP2 directly to save time. If you could copy the files from your FE server to BE server which are missing in EXCHWEB folder as per KB and then try OWA.

Regards
                  Jedi001
                  Technical Director
                  www.tecguruz.com

Comment

Hi,

Apologies, but I've been tied up with some other things at the moment. I've had a quick look and our Front End 2003 server has a folder called 6.5.7651.60, while the back end 2003 server doesn't.

Having said that our 2003 Front End / 2003 Back End set up works just fine

However, on our 2007 CAS server, which is the one that doesn't work, it has folders beginning with 8.x, which the back end doesn't, which I'm assuming is because it's running 2007 on Windows 2008

Thanks for the KB link.

Rgds
                    Mj

Comment

Re: Exchange 2007 CAS with 2003 back end - Resolved

Morning All

I copied the missing folder over to the back end server, as I noticed in the browser source that it was referencing it, and it's all working now!!

It's even resolved an issue we had with iPhone's sending blank emails.

Thank you very much jedi001, saved my bacon

Rgds
                      Mj

Comment

Re: Exchange 2007 CAS with 2003 back end - Resolved

Morning All

I copied the missing folder over to the back end server, as I noticed in the browser source that it was referencing it, and it's all working now!!

It's even resolved an issue we had with iPhone's sending blank emails.

Thank you very much jedi001, saved my bacon

Rgds
                        Mj
                        You are most welcome MJ....glad that it worked..used to get these kinda issues when I was with Microsoft an year back...
                        Technical Director
                        www.tecguruz.com

Comment

Working...
                        X