Correct Exchange configuration for a private network

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Exchange configuration for a private network

Hello, we are a lab in an university dept. We have a little W2k3 domain (two sites, about 20 users). The domain is based on two private subnetworks, connected by VPN (the local lab and a remote lab). We recently installed Exchange 2007 in the local lab, mainly in order to use the planning features, and also in order to forward emails sent from the remote site to the university SMTP (that allows only local connections). We want to continue using our dept. email, and de dept. network managers won't, under any circumstances, add any other MX record to the dept. DNS, so it is essentially impossible to setup Exchange as a public server.

I set-up Exchange to use as reply-address the dept. addresses (each user has his own), and the dept. mail server as external connector.

Mails are correctly sent and received, and the header does not look too suspicious to foreign servers . The only problem is that internal email is delivered in the local mailbox instead of the dept., so it is not reachable from outside our private LAN, and users are forced to have two mailboxes.

I was pondering to force Exchange to send to the dept. SMTP all the emails, including the internal, but I read in the following thread :
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=17739
    stating that this is not correct, nor easily fesible.
    Thus, how to setup Exchange in order to, essentially, work in a private network, using an email address based on another server?

Best, Federico

Re: Correct Exchange configuration for a private network

Your posting is confusing me a little bit so let me rephrase what I have understood.
    - Each of your users has two mailboxes, one at a central organization and one in your little own world.
    - you setup a one way connection to send outgoing eMails through the central organization while the administrators of the central organization won't do anything to route incoming mails for you to your own little world
    - external mails and mails from the central organization sit in the mailbox at the central organization while mails from your own little world sit in your own little world
    - you want to use just one mailbox of the two full featured

The answer is quite simple, not going to happen if the above is true.
    As long as the administrators from the central organization not forwading any mails to your own little world you are stuck using that mailbox for eMail. You can configure that mails sent within your own little world are send to the central organization as well, but thats it. Your users will still have to use the central organization for mail and your onw little world for whatever purpose you set it up.

Comment

Thank you for your kind reply.

Your posting is confusing me a little bit so let me rephrase what I have understood.
      - Each of your users has two mailboxes, one at a central organization and one in your little own world.
      [...]
      All correct.
      You can configure that mails sent within your own little world are send to the central organization as well
      Yes, this is acceptable, we use exchange for our purposes, but still keeping the central organization email. The question is how to:
      configure that mails sent within your own little world are send to the central organization
      with a general configuration?

Best, Federico

Comment

Originally posted by fedegiove View Post
        with a general configuration?
        Yes, but the configuration is more on a per user basis then a system configuration.

You have to create a contact for each user which points to the mailbox at the central organization, then you can use the option to deliver mails to the contact instead of the mailbox under Delivery Options (Mailflow Settings --> Delivery Options --> Forwart to) .
        For this szenario you have to rethink about your address scheme since the contacts have to point to your real addresses at the central organization.

Your Exchange should have one send connector pointing to the central organization with the approriate name space. The name space of the central organization should be configured as a External Relay Domain.

Comment

Yes, but the configuration is more on a per user basis then a system configuration.

You have to create a contact for each user
          Thank you for the suggestion. However, this seems not to work.

Originally, I had a mailbox for each user, with the central organization (CO.com) mail address set (no local addresses). Mails go correctly, but mails sent to local users (with the public address) are delivered to the local mailbox.
          Now I created a contact (with a different AD account) for each user. I set the CO.com address for the contact, but I was forced to change the address of the real user. I changed this address to a local address.
          Now the mail server of the CO.com refuses to deliver the emails, because, with this configuration, the "from" field belongs to a non-public domain.

Let's resume my current configuration:

Organization config=>Hub Transport=>send connectors=> (the CO SMTP server, address space: *)

Users configuration=>contacts=>one auxiliary contact for each real user (configured with @CO.com address)

Users configuration=>malilbox=>Real users (configured with @domain.local address, Mailflow Settings --> Delivery Options --> Forward to [the relevant auxiliary contact])

Something wrong? Or: how to make the outgoing mails appear from the CO.com address? is it needed an header rewriter?

Best regards,

Federico

Comment

Working...
          X