Need help sending emails out to the internet through exchange server 07

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help sending emails out to the internet through exchange server 07

I recently just joined this company as a hardware guy so i have no experience with exchange server 2007 at all , recently my boss wants me to install it so we can set it up for one of our software(which cannot be modified).

So the way it is suppose to work is this, the software will send an email out to the Exchange server(its only compatible with Exchange), and exchange will then send the mail out to our main email server which we shall call mail.companyA.com

So far, after playing with the send connector and accepted domains, still no luck , i'm basically going crazy trying to figure it out. I don't have a deadline but i would like to get this done asap.

I do not have Edge Transport Server Role installed, and MS Exchange 07 is installed on Server 2008 Std.

To let you know how my network is set up, i drew a pretty bad picture in paint. Server 08 Std and Exchange Server 07 is installed on PC 2.

I would appreciate any help , i also borrowed a book on exchange server 07 but i prefer to get this done asap without going through the whole book.
    Last edited by syraleo; 5th November 2009, 06:59.

Re: Need help sending emails out to the internet through exchange server 07

Originally posted by syraleo View Post
    I recently just joined this company as a hardware guy so i have no experience with exchange server 2007 at all , recently my boss wants me to install it so we can set it up for one of our software(which cannot be modified).

So the way it is suppose to work is this, the software will send an email out to the Exchange server(its only compatible with Exchange), and exchange will then send the mail out to our main email server which we shall call mail.companyA.com

So far, after playing with the send connector and accepted domains, still no luck , i'm basically going crazy trying to figure it out. I don't have a deadline but i would like to get this done asap.

I do not have Edge Transport Server Role installed, and MS Exchange 07 is installed on Server 2008 Std.

To let you know how my network is set up, i drew a pretty bad picture in paint. Server 08 Std and Exchange Server 07 is installed on PC 2.

I would appreciate any help , i also borrowed a book on exchange server 07 but i prefer to get this done asap without going through the whole book.
    Hello.

Your picture is not very clear, i would assume your "main" is your other email system.

PC2 is your only Exchange Server and has a correct route through for port 25 SMTP in and out through the router1. You dont need an edge transport to achieve this.

A few questions:

1. Does your "main mail" server require authentication for emails to be sent to it?

2. Does your "main mail" server share the same SMTP namespace as your 2007 Exchange server, e.g. do you want to use the @companyA.com email address on Exchange as well as on the "main mail" server?

If you are sharing the namespace, you would first need to add the domain as an accepted domai nto exchange 2007, but dont set it to authorative, you want internal relay.

You would then create a send connector using the internet option as a connector type, add the "main mail" server as a smart host, use authentication if required. Specify the smtp namespace the send connector is for, in your case, * will do for all outbound mail.

Please reply with your answers to the questions and i will try and help further.

Comment

Working...
    X