Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCR disk configuration

Hi,

I have Exchange 2007 installed on a single server. The server has 4 physical disks configured as 2 raid arrays.

The first raid array contains the operating system, the second holds the Exchange installation.

I would like to set up LCR, ideally this would replicate to another disk, but my server does not have room for another. Is it acceptable to replicate to the raid array which contains the operating system?

Do I have any other options, such as NAS or high speed USB disk - or would data transfer be too slow for external storage?

If I have Excahge installed on a RAID array, do I already have enough redundancy, making the performance cost of LCR not worth it?

Does anyone have any experience, or advise that could help?

Thanks

Nick

Re: LCR disk configuration

You can run LCR with Direct Attached Storage (and it does work with NAS, but this is not supported). An external USB would be fine.

It's not ideal shipping the log files over the OS array, as it could impede performance. If you are running a small operating, it will probably be ok, you can always stop if it does affect performance. Technically there is no reason why you couldn't.

As for should you use LCR, I always say that if you can, then do, because the more options you have for recovery in a disaster the better. If there is corruption on your RAID volume for whatever reason, then there is a chance you will have a clean DB on your LCR volume.

You can also use the LCR passive copy for backups, meaning you can run it whenever, and it will not affect performance of the active copy.

Shaun

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll try it with an external USB and post back if I have any problems.

Comment

OK, I have now added an external USB drive, and enabled LCR for all my databases. I now have a couple of questions about switching to the passive copy and back again.

I am still testing at the moment, so I changed one of the databases to the passive copy by dismounting the database, then using this command from the Management Shell:

Restore-StorageGroupCopy –Identity:servername\storage group –ReplaceLocations:$true

and when I remounted the database, I saw the location had changed.

My Exchange book tells me that whilst the database is dismounted, I can move the passive copy files into the production location. This seems like a good idea, but which files would I move? Just the database? or the system and log files too?

Also, once I have changed the location of the database, how do I change it back again? I tried this by re-enabling LCR using the original database as the new passive copy, then running through the procedure to siwtch to the passive copy again. Is that the correct way to do it?

This database is now in a slightly different location:
        Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\LocalCopies\storage group name

Thanks

Nick

Comment

Hi Nick,

Have a read through these articles. There are procedures for moving the log files in the Storage group, and for the database file.

How to Move a Storage Group in a Local Continuous Replication Environment - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124751.aspx

How to Move a Database in a Local Continuous Replication Environment - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb123904.aspx

You can move these either with the Exchange Management Shell or using the console.

Shaun

Comment

Thanks for the links.

I have successfully switched to my passive copy by moving the files in the passive location into the active location. I also used this link, which contained some very useful info:

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/generic/0,295582,sid43_gci1296344,00.html

Comment

I have set up volume mount points for Exchange databases in my test environment, so saves a lot of Exchange reconfiguration when going to a passive copy. AFAIK, you could also use a SAN for your LCR passive copy providing the server sees it as a local resource, so therefore, has been allocated as drive letter in My Computer. This allows the passive copy to be physically separate.

Comment

Working...
              X