No undeliverable message being sent back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No undeliverable message being sent back

When a customer emails us and we do not receive the email, the customer does not receive an undeliverable message?
    so they will fax over the original email to prove that they sent it to us and everything is correct but we still never received it; where did it go, why don't they receive an undeliverable notice.
    This is urgent Please someone shed some light on this.

thank you in advance.

Re: No undeliverable message being sent back

Cannot belive that no one has an answere for this

Comment

I know... terrible Quality of Service these days... no reply in 21 hours!

Perhaps the carrier pigeons are getting attacked by hawks?
      Perhaps there is some mail filtering appliance in the system?
      Perhaps your customer has NDRs blocked somewhere in their system?

Perhaps we need a lot more information about your setup -- all we can assume is you are using Exchange 2007 from the forum you post in
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        I know... terrible Quality of Service these days... no reply in 21 hours!

Perhaps the carrier pigeons are getting attacked by hawks?
        Perhaps there is some mail filtering appliance in the system?
        Perhaps your customer has NDRs blocked somewhere in their system?

Perhaps we need a lot more information about your setup -- all we can assume is you are using Exchange 2007 from the forum you post in
        I guess all I wanted to know is where in exchange 2007 you go to check if it is set up to send NDRs. and it not just one customer it happens several times a week
        To give you more information about my setup [sorry i didn't include it before] Windows Server Standard 2007 Service Pack 1 Quad-Cor AMD Opteron Processor 2350 2 ghz approx 40 email users.

Comment

What about mailflow in and out of your network?

Can you clarify, the problem happens with several customers -- and not always, or do none of them ever get NDRs from you
          Check here to enable / disable NDRs http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa998621.aspx
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

not sure what you mean mailflow in and out of the network, sorry I have managed a Domino server for the past 6 years, Exchange is new to me and the terminology, but I went on the site you gave the link for and it says to
            Procedure
            To use the Exchange Management Console to enable or disable NDRs
            1. In the console tree of the Exchange Management Console, expand the Organization Configuration node, and then click the Unified Messaging node.
            2. On the UM Dial Plans tab, select the UM dial plan that you want to manage, and then click Properties in the action pane.
            3. On the dial plan Properties page, under the General tab, select the check box next to Send a non-delivery report if message delivery fails, or clear the check box if you do not want to send NDRs.
            4. Click OK to save your changes.

But when I go there I don't have a UM Dial Plan please advise.....

Comment

Sorry -- I didnt read the link fully - thats for Unified Messaging
              Try this:
              it can be done from Remote Domains | Default | properties | Message Format
              Options tab (the tab is mislabeled as "Format of original message... ") |
              check "Allow non-delivery reports".
              - Or from the shell:
              Set-RemoteDomain "Default" -NDREnabled $true
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Sorry -- I didnt read the link fully - thats for Unified Messaging
                Try this:
                it can be done from Remote Domains | Default | properties | Message Format
                Options tab (the tab is mislabeled as "Format of original message... ") |
                check "Allow non-delivery reports".
                - Or from the shell:
                Set-RemoteDomain "Default" -NDREnabled $true
                Darn I checked there and Allow delivery reports, non-delivery reports are both checked

Comment

I think some message logging is needed so you can be sure that the problem emails are:
                  a) reaching your server
                  b) being rejected
                  c) An NDR is being returned

This is why I hate troubleshooting email -- there are too many unknowns in the loop between the sender and you

Do you use a smarthost to deliver your outgoing mail?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

I agree on the too many unknowns in the loop between the sender and you.
                    I have opened a case with Microsoft so I will let you know what they find out or advise me to do, thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
                    X