Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook clients connecting to the wrong server

recently introduced a new 2007 box and removed the old 2003 box

now the outlook clients are pointing to the old server - I know the old 2003 box should've been left on but it wasn't feasible to leave it in place.

whats the best practice to fix this ? without going round everyone's machine - which is also troublesome (isn't it always!)

do i just create a DNS entry to point the old server name to the new exchange box ?

cheers

Re: Outlook clients connecting to the wrong server

Depending on the version of Outlook you are using, you can create a .cmw file using Office Custom Maint. Wizard (Office 2003) to change the default path to the exchange server. I have done this when migrating users from from one domain to another. Once the .cmw file is created, I just used a gpo to assign a login script to all of the computers that ran the .cmw file.

Here is the script:

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    WshShell.run "\\servername\share\MaintWiz.exe /c \\servername\share\outlookprofilechange.CMW /qb-

Or you can create a PICS file for Office 2007
    Thank you,

Marc

Comment

thanks,
      problem is we have mixed office environment - but ill look into the scripting

Comment

using a DNS record will not work,

No offence, but you need to leave 2003 in co-existence for a short while to allow users profiles to see the move. I had exactly the same problem only as some people were on annual leave, in the end just told users the new address to use.

Scripting would work though.

Comment

Problem was most of the tutorials didn't mention the fact - even tho it makes sense - plus the fact the original server was living on borrowed time - it was held quite literally together with ducktape.....

fixed it in the end with a custom prf - much to the annoyance of end users - couldn't get Append working for some reason so had to replace all settings

Oh and i work in a school, if i'd waited for everyone to log on - i'd be waiting quite a while

Comment

Working...
          X