Advice setting up exchange 2007 to learn at home for MS exams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice setting up exchange 2007 to learn at home for MS exams

I have a server 2008 server at home that I use for studying for my Microsoft exams with virtual machines for client pcs that are connect to a internal domain.

I would like to get more experience on how to setup exchange 2007 and understand how it works in more detail.

From what I understand I am going to need a static IP which I currently do not have. What are the best options to obtain a static IP?

I also know that I need to have a domain name and point the MX records to the exchange server.

Just need advicde on whats the best way to go about all this for the least ammount of cost.

Will this site provide all I need http://www.no-ip.com/

Thanks
    Last edited by msaunders26; 15th October 2009, 19:00.

Re: Advice setting up exchange 2007 to learn at home for MS exams

You only need a public ip address if you want the Exchange server to receive email from the outside world (which I presume you do). You don't need a static ip address, a dynamic ip address will do. You just need to use a dynamic DNS service (like DynDNS) that will keep your public DNS records up to date with your dynamic ip address.

The link you posted looks like they will do the trick, but I've never used them. I've only used DynDNS:

http://www.dyndns.com/

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have created an account at dyndns. I already have a domain name that I bought through 1and1.

What would I need to do net to get a public IP at dyndns???

Comment

You get your public ip address from your ISP. They'll automatically assign it to your "internet connection", whether that's DSL, cable, or whatever.

You'll need to move your name servers to DynDNS, which you can do from their web site. Then you'll need to create DNS records at DynDNS for your domain, server, and MX.

Then you'll need to download and install their dynamic dns client on your server and configure it.

After that, your public ip address will be registered and updated at DynDNS anytime it changes from your ISP. This will ensure that email will always be able to get to your server.

Details on how to do all of this is documented on the web site.

Of course you'll have to configure your router and server appropriately to allow inbound email, web, etc.

Comment

Excellent . Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Ok im back again.

I have juts paid for a domain ont he DYNdns site called mattsaundersmcp .co.uk

I want to be able to use this domain on my server 208 box using Exchange 2007.

I have downloaded and install the DYNDNS updater application on my server and logged in with my DYNDNS account details and my new domain shows up in the Dynamic DNS Hosts section

What do I need to do next to achieve what I want to do?

Thanks in advance
              Last edited by Sembee; 19th October 2009, 17:07. Reason: Live URL Removed

Comment

It sounds like you've got DNS records set up at DynDns and got the client installed and configured. The next thing to do is to configure Exchange to accept incoming email for your domain name, set up internal users for email (Administrator should already be set up), and configure your router or firewall to allow inbound SMTP connections to your server. The details of doing all this doesn't lend itself to a forum so a little leg work on your part is needed.

Hopefully you've got the gist of what to do next. Post back here with your results or problems.

Comment

Hey im back

Quick update: I have now got Exchange 2007 installed. When I installed Server 2008 I gave it the domain name nwtraders.msft as instructed to by the Microsoft book I am following.

How do I setup the server with my domain that I bought from DYNDNS?

Comment

You have to add your "public" domain name to the Accepted Domains in the Exchange Management Console under Organization Configuration>Hub Transport>Accepted domains tab. Then add the domain to the E-mail Adress policy on the E-mail Address Policies tab.

Comment

you didnt really need to move all of your DNS to DYNDNS or pay for it,

You merely needed to create a dyndns account add a host, have it automatically update with your new IP Address.
                      (a cisco router can do this automatically on a schedule for you) or use a windows client as specified below.

Simply change your MX records at 1and1 to point to your DYNDNS address, just use the one priority.

You could also create a subdomain DNS Record with a http redirect for you to use OWA, e.g. mail.yourdomain.org will redirect you to: https://testname.dyndns.org/owa automatically.

Mail will always be delivered because DYNDNS will always have your correct IP Address. DNS Stays at 1and1 and DYNDNS is now free to use along with your existing domain at 1and1.

Also, you are going to probably find that when you send email from exchange 2007 on a homer based Synamic connection, emails will be rejected by remote servers evbcause the IP Range is dymanic and more than likely blacklisted.

You will therefore probably need to pay for a smart host to use as a trusted middle hop for email to go before it arrives at the remote servers.

Comment

Working...
                      X