public folder contents won't migrate to new server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• public folder contents won't migrate to new server

I have an exchange 2003 server that has a bunch of public folders on it.
    I am replacing that server with a new exchange 2007 server. I have migrated all of the mailboxes to the new server, with no problem. Users that were left on 2003 can send mail to the users on 2007.

When I create a new public folder on 2003, it is created on 2007. All of the old existing PF's were created on 2007 automatically. They are all set to have replicas on both servers.
    There are no errors in event log, just some information events, a lot of which are public folder related and make it look like it's working as normal.
    There is AV software on the 2003 server, but I have not yet put AV software on the 2007 server.

the contents of the public folders are not moving from server to server. Users on the 2007 server can add items to the PF's on that server, and they don't replicate to the 2003 server. The old items do not replicate to the new server.

I'm not sure where to look at this point, a lot of what I've already read online indicated that problems would be related to not being able to send mail between servers at all.

Also, I do not have a smarthost configured on the smtp virtual servers.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks!

Re: public folder contents won't migrate to new server

If you've moved all of the mailboxes to the new server, why are you maintaining the old server? Why not export the contents of the Public Folders from the old server and import them to the new server?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      If you've moved all of the mailboxes to the new server, why are you maintaining the old server? Why not export the contents of the Public Folders from the old server and import them to the new server?
      the thought has certainly crossed my mind, but I guess I was under the impression that there were "important system folders" that needed to be replicated properly?

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Exchange 2007 doesn't require Public folders and the only reason to have a Public Folder store on Exchange is for Free\Busy information for legacy Outlook clients (Outlook 2003 and earlier). So if all of your email clients are Outlook 2007 I think you can safely export content from the PF's you need from the old server and import it into the new server. Here are a few links that might help:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...007-Part3.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb331970.aspx

Comment

In Exchange 2003 System Manager, make sure that the new Exchange 2007 security groups have permissions to read/write the public folders on the Exchange 2003 server (see the Security tab), as they may not be set by default.

Also, I sometimes find it easy to force replication by selecting each folder, right click and tell it to replicate items from say 10000 days ago so to include all items.

Comment

Working...
          X