Outlook asks for an exchange password each time outlook opens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook asks for an exchange password each time outlook opens

Im building a new Exchange 07 server & having issues with the authentication box showing up each time users logon from a windows 2008 server.

It doesnt seem to be happening when i test accounts on a windows 2003 server.

After much searching on the internet, it seems like a common issue that no one has a definitive answer for.

I even used these couple of tips without success.

http://www.petri.com/save-your-excha...03-or-2007.htm

the keymgr.dll trick didnt work & when I tried the outlook autologon, it only worked once.

Does anyone have a fix for this or know why I get prompted everytime for exchange credentials?

M

Re: Outlook asks for an exchange password each time outlook opens

Are the machine(s) you're testing this from domain members? Are the user accounts you're logging in to the machines as domain users? The same users you're trying to authenticate against Exchange with?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Are the machine(s) you're testing this from domain members?
      No, both are terminal servers I am testing from & neither are members.

The domain membership for arguement sake is

Exchange : domain = abc.com.au
      2003 Server : domain = xyz.com.au
      2008 Server : domain = xyz.com.au

Are the user accounts you're logging in to the machines as domain users?
      Yes the accounts that i am testing are users on the exchange domain e.g. xyz\bob.smith or [email protected] authenticates ok, but doing so from the 2008 server prompts me for a pw on every opening of outlook. Whereas from the 2003 TS it doesnt.

The same users you're trying to authenticate against Exchange with?
      Bob.Smith has an account in the XYZ domain as well as the ABC domain.

M

Comment

Whats the outlook version you are testing with?
        ________
        Rz500
        Last edited by Dks; 13th March 2011, 00:21.
        Rgds,

Dks
        MCP E2K3 & MCITP E2K7
        MCITP Enterprise Win2k8

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the default is for Outlook to negotiate the authentication method with the Exchange server when connecting to it. I believe you need to set the authentication method to NTLM in order to save the password and not be prompted for it every time.

Comment

Outlook isn't accepting Windows creds. Try putting htem on the domain. In advanced settings you can uncheck to ask for password each time.

Comment

the default is for Outlook to negotiate the authentication method with the Exchange server when connecting to it. I believe you need to set the authentication method to NTLM in order to save the password and not be prompted for it every time.
              As far as I can see, NTLM is only an option if you are using rpc over http for connecting via outlook anywhere.

http://blogs.pointbridge.com/Blogs/e...20NTLM_jpg.jpg

Whereas connections through MAPI use different methods.

http://blog.techgalaxy.net/wp-conten...operties_2.jpg

Outlook isn't accepting Windows creds. Try putting htem on the domain. In advanced settings you can uncheck to ask for password each time.
              Its unticked by default & I didnt retick it.

Comment

I'm looking at the Security tab of the account properties in both Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007, there's a "Logon network security" drop down and I have mine selected to NTLM and it doesn't prompt me for the username\password.

Take note that the machine I run Outlook on and the user I run it as are not part of the domain where Exchange is installed, so my set up is pretty much the same as yours in terms of running Outlook on a non-domain member machine.

Comment

I'm looking at the Security tab of the account properties in both Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007
                  Ok, I get ya now, you mean this one in the client side:

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu/pharmd/stud...s-security.gif

Apologies, I thought you meant the server side settings. Unfortunately, it was already set to NTLM, but I tried the other options just in case & no joy.

Comment

Guys, after creating another profile TWICE , the password eventually stuck. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Glad you got it working, sorry I couldn't be more help.

Comment

Working...
                      X