Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic reconfiguration of outlook after migration?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic reconfiguration of outlook after migration?

I've installed a new exchange 2007 server into my org and plan to start moving people over from the old 2003 server.
    I have moved myself, and manually pointed my outlook client to the new server. All is well.

I thought I had read somewhere that Outlook would be able to automatically negotiate it's way to the new server, after I move the mailbox? I am finding that after I move a mailbox, outlook sits in "disconnected" mode until I manually configure the server name

Am I missing something?

thanks!
    CS

Re: Automatic reconfiguration of outlook after migration?

Originally posted by chris_s View Post
    I've installed a new exchange 2007 server into my org and plan to start moving people over from the old 2003 server.
    I have moved myself, and manually pointed my outlook client to the new server. All is well.

I thought I had read somewhere that Outlook would be able to automatically negotiate it's way to the new server, after I move the mailbox? I am finding that after I move a mailbox, outlook sits in "disconnected" mode until I manually configure the server name

Am I missing something?

thanks!
    CS
    This is worth reviewing.

Providing you have followed the relevant transition steps and the old server is still active, users should automatically have their Outlook redirected to the new server.

Have you configured an SSL certificate on Exchange 2007? If not, you still have some steps to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
      This is worth reviewing.

Providing you have followed the relevant transition steps and the old server is still active, users should automatically have their Outlook redirected to the new server.

Have you configured an SSL certificate on Exchange 2007? If not, you still have some steps to complete.
      I in fact have not configured an SSL certificate as of yet

one thing that did come to mind, is the automatic reconfiguration only for Outlook 2007?

My clients all use Outlook 2003

thanks!

Comment

Outlook 2007 only. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb124251.aspx
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_s View Post
          I in fact have not configured an SSL certificate as of yet

one thing that did come to mind, is the automatic reconfiguration only for Outlook 2007?

My clients all use Outlook 2003

thanks!
          You need to get your SSL certificate installed. The autoconfiguration is for Outlook 2003 as well providing the Exchange 2003 server still remains up. When you move the mailbox, the user's AD account reference to the mailbox is changed, so redirects. Should the Exchange 2003 server have been removed and the odd client comes back in at some point, you will then have to manually change Outlook 2003. Outlook 2007 will automatically still connect.

Comment

Outlook will redirect itself to the new server, no SSL etc required.
            However you do need to restart Outlook to get the redirection to occur, it only happens at the point of connection. Furthermore if Outlook was open when the move took place, Outlook will sometimes lock itself in to offline mode.

I have moved 1000s of mailboxes and the number of client machines that have required manual intervention is only a handful.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Just to clarify, you are best setting up an SSL certificate for Exchange 2007 and not leave at as the default self-certified one but as Sembee mentions, it is not needed for your current requirements.

I use a w2k3 CA for Exchange.

Comment

Working...
              X