Exchange 2007 - Outlook won't connect when Win2k3 Firewall on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 - Outlook won't connect when Win2k3 Firewall on

I have been searching through the forums and on Google and can't find a solution to my problem exactly.

I have a fresh install of Windows 2003 SP2 and Exchange 2007. I am able to use OWA and mobile phone to connect in and receive e-mail without issues.

My issue that that on my LAN, I cannot connect to my Exchange 2007 server from a separate computer running Windows XP and Outlook 2003 when the Windows Firewall is turned on on the Windows 2003 server. When I turn off the Windows 2003 firewall on the Exchange server, I can login in Outlook on the XP workstation and connect via a mail profile setup to use Exchange, it can resolve the user name and connect to the server. At that point mail flows, calendar updates flow, etc. But as soon as I turn on the Win 2k3 firewall, I can no longer logon the Exchange server.

I have taken some advice seen elsewhere to run the Security Configuration Wizard (SCW) on the Exchange server. I have done this, but still can't connect locally with Outlook. To be clear, these two computers are physically connected to the same Linksys router and both IP's of 192.168.1.x on the same subnet and everything works fine when the server firewall is off.

I think this issue has something to do with dynamic ports, but I am not sure. I thought SCW would take care of that. Also, other options exist to configure RPC over HTTP, but this seems silly on an internal network. I would like to set up this type of connection eventually for remote use on my laptop, but right now I am taking baby steps and just want functionality with the firewall enabled. Other posters have suggested just not using the firewall. I prefer not to do this as I do not want my server to be compromised due to lack of security and really am not sure how to not run a firewall and still keep it safe.

Please help with configuring the Win 2k3 firewall to properly allow local connections from Outlook 2003.

Re: Exchange 2007 - Outlook won't connect when Win2k3 Firewall on

What exceptions do you have configured in the firewall?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I will post a list tonight, but the list was generated by SCW and included references to \program files\microsoft\exchange and several ports including the ones listed by so many as 80, 135, 443, etc. I will post the complete listing later this afternoon when I am in front of the PC.

Comment

The following exceptions were created by SCW:
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\EdgeTransport.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\mad.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.AntispamUpdateSvc.ex e
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Cluster.ReplayServic e.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.EdgeSyncSvc.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Monitoring.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.Search.ExSearch.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\Microsoft.Exchange.ServiceHost.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\MSExchangeADTopologyService.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\MSExchangeFDS.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\MSExchangeMailboxAssistants.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\MSExchangeMailSubmission.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\MSExchangeTransport.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\MSExchangeTransportLogSearch.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\msftesql.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\store.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\PopImap\Microsoft.Exchange.Ima p4Service.exe
        C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\PopImap\Microsoft.Exchange.Pop 3Service.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
        C:\WINDOWS\system32\scshost.exe
        File and Print sharing (TCP ports 139 and 445)
        TCP 110
        UDP 123
        TCP 135
        TCP 25
        UDP 25
        TCP 42424
        TCP 443
        TCP 80
        TCP 995
        Remote Desktop

I then added UDP 137 which was listed under "File and Print Sharing" and now my desktop Outlook is connecting without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mark10 View Post
          I then added UDP 137 which was listed under "File and Print Sharing" and now my desktop Outlook is connecting without issues.
          Thanks for posting back with your fix

rep++;
          Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Well, I am not sure if it is fixed.

I justed tried to use my laptop which is running Windows 7 32 bit and Office 2007 to connect to my exchange server from inside my Network, and no go. Even turning off the firewalls on both my server and Windows 7 would not allow Outlook to connect. I get the error "The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

Well, I can surf the web and I can connect to shared drives in my network.

What gives. Also, looking at the pfirewall.log file in C:\windows on the server I see that new ports are showing up. What gives. Is there actually a way to run the Windows Firewall on an Exchange Server?

Comment

Originally posted by mark10 View Post
              Is there actually a way to run the Windows Firewall on an Exchange Server?
              It's working fine for us on 2008 Standard.

Make sure that Windows and Exchange/Office are all fully up to date (ie, not just the latest service pack) on the server and client.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

I never run the Windows firewall on a Windows 2003 Exchange server. Something gets in, game over, thats too late. An internal firewall isn't really going to help limit the damage.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X